Chapter 2

Loneliness was like a vice that wrapped around his heart, squeezing it slowly until he felt he was drowning in sorrow. To wake every morning and see the empty bed, his belongings being the only objects that usually occupied his room. A room he rarely visited to avoid his state of lonliness. Instead, he spent his days carrying on his princely duties, watching the Sapphire Army train, as well as training alongside them. Sometimes, his day called for him to visit the homes surrounding the Sapphire Palace, making sure the skirmishes between the Ruby and the Amythyst didn't get too close. But along with that, he had to make sure his younger brothers didn't cause trouble.

A smile touched his lips at the memory of the twins. Blue irises and tails, a common trait in the sapphire race, but what stood out the most was their blue hair. Uncommon, but a trait that only came in the royal family. A perfect trait his mother favored. True, the twins were physically perfect, eyes forever trained on them. But even the most beautiful have their faults. Faults certain individuals would never accept. Homosexuality was something some mers had a hard time accepting, but incest was a whole other word. A taboo that the twins didn't bother to aknowledge.

"Your Royal Highness?" a servant said, bringing Zeref from his thought, his eyes landing on the servant. Dillion was his name, his light blue tail and equally blue eyes nearly making him invisble in the ocean currents if it werent for his blonde hair.

Zeref blinked, his gaze shifting from the Amber Palace to the shy merman, "What is it?" Dillion's gaze flitted over his trembling hands, a habit Zeref had come to know whenever the merman talked to someone other than himself. He was a quirky little creature who's kind nature had landed him among the favored servants that served Zeref.

"There is someone who wishes to see you before you leave," Dillion murmured while biting his plump lip.

Zeref frowned, "Bring them here." The merman nodded, dashing away before returning with someone who's features he definitly recognized. Black hair woven with seaweed floated around his pale features, green orbs standing out against heavily lashed eyes. Spikes protruded from the merman's back, blending in with the black tattoos that stretched towards his sides.

The merman grinned, flashing his sharp teeth, "Hello High Prince Zeref!" Morgan said.

Zeref offered a small smile in aknowledgement, "Hello Morgan. What can I help you with?"

Morgan chuckled quietly, "I was hoping if I could join you in your journey back to the sapphire kingdom." Zeref's brows furrowed, searching over the merman's features for an ulterior motive but he found none, just genuine curiosity. He was a strange one, that much he had to admit.

"Alright," Zeref said, "We will part before midsky."                                    

Morgan simply grinned, "Excellent."

*********

"I'm bored," Castor mumbled from the bed, his slender body draped over the silky sheets. Pollux chuckled, eyeing the sensual creature that inhabited his bed. Blue eyes peered at him through thick blue lashes, his equally blue hair and tail blending in with the sapphire walls of their bedroom. The only that wasn't blue was his pale skin that still managed to be blue with tattoos swirling over Castor's right arm, starting from the right side of his face down to the tips of his fingers, an exact copy on Pollux's left side of his body. "It's no fun when big brother Zeref isn't here," Castor mumbled, blowing bubbles through his lips.

"And what do you want me to do about it? You know he needed to go to the Amber wedding. It's his last chance before Mother forces him to marry that power hungry leech," Pollux muttered.

Castor wrinkled his nose in disgust, "Ew. Let's just hope the Amber Guardian took  mercy on him." Pollux nodded in agreement and glanced back down to continue sharpening his twin blades.

Castor bit his lip and slinked towards Pollox, his arms slipping over Pollux's shoulders, his lips brushing against his ear, "Can we go to the surface?" Pollux shivered under Castor's touch, his brother's lips wandering over the sensitive skin on his neck. He knew Castor was trying to sway him into traveling towards the surface, a weakness Castor abused.

"You know what Mother says about going there. We got in trouble last time because you yanked a human's fishing line and scaring him half to death," Pollux murmured with a soft chuckle at the memory. Hands traveled over his chest, fingers tweaking his hardening nipples. Pollux moaned at the sweet torture, his own blue tail threatening to split, "Castor," he murmured.

He could feel his twin's lips nip at his skin, "Please, I promise to be good this time."

"And if you're not?" Pollux swallowed, his hands aching to feel Castor's soft skin.

A smirk touched Castor's lips, "You can punish me."

Pollux smirked, his hands gripping the handle of his blades, "Fine," he murmured, reigning in his lust, "I'm looking forward for punishing you."

Castor grinned and pressed his lips against his own before parting, his blue eyes tinkling with mischeif, "Thank you Pollux." Pollux merely sighed and watched Castor grab his own swords, a percaution should they ever enconter another predator.

They left the palace walls, using a path that mers seldom traveled. A forest of seaweed that stretched from the surface to the sea floor, it's tentacle like branches providing a perfect way to hide from prying eyes. Pollux smiled to himself as he watched Castor dart through the seaweed, his blue hair being the only thing visible through the green forrest. He loved Castor dearly, a love that surpassed far beyond that of brotherly love.

Despicable, their mother would call it, but Pollux didn't care. As long as he had Castor, nothing else mattered.

"Pollux!" Castor cried in alarm, bringing him out of his reverie. Pollux darted to Castor's side, his wide eyes staring at the surface. Pollux turned, his eyes focusing at the surface.

His breath caught in his lungs, Fire, he thought. Orange flames illuminated the surface, casting an eerie glow on their faces.

"We should leave," Pollux murmured, his hand snatching Castor's wrist.

"No," he protested, pulling his hand from Pollux's grasp, "Look."

Pollux complied, his eyes darting towards the surface. A body had appeared, just between two rocks, fully intact. Pollux froze, unable to move. Instincts yelled for him to hide, eyes watching in fear if the creature moved.

"I think he's dead," Castor murmured, "Should we check?"

Pollux swallowed and shook his head, "We should leave before he notices we're here. We can hide in the seaweed."

Castor snicked, "Polly, are you afraid of a dead man? You know they can't tell secrets," his lover smirked.

Pollux groaned, "Cas, don't tell me you plan to dissect a human."

Castor pouted and fluttered his lashes, "What? Me? No... I just what to see what fire does to humans."

A sigh left his lips as he begrudingly followed Castor towards just under the surface, a few inches away from the body that floated. The creature had a male physic, most of his skin covered in wounds, all visible from the charred holes of his clothes. Blood twirled around his skin, a few coming from his head, "By gods," Pollux murmured, "Is this what fire causes?"

Castor frowned, hovering over the human, "No. It seems his clothes took most of the damage but these wounds come from something else," Castor muttered, his fingers hovering over the bruises that decorated the man's ribs. Pollux said, nothing. Instead, he watched Castor's fingers press against the dead man's skin, poking at the wounds. However, his eyes grew wide when his fingers touched his chest, "Pollux! He's alive!"

Vote and comment!