Chapter 15

2 weeks later

Zeref gazed into the mirror, looking at a rather different reflection of himself than what he had looked a few weeks before. He wore a different wedding garment than what he had worn in the previous wedding, Gone was the ostentatious makeup his mother had previously insisted, replaced by a single white line that crossed over the front of his cheeks and the bridge of his nose. The silver crown with a the sapphire teardrop rested on his head, his dark hair pulled away, the long, thick braid resting over his shoulder. A silver chest plate covered his torso, hiding the swell of his growing belly.

"Ready brother?"

Zeref turned, his eyes falling on the twin lovers, their blue eyes alight. He knew they were happy and no longer did they grip their swords in anticipation for danger. It brought a smile to his lips, something he found himself doing more often.

The king to be took in a deep breath, calming his fluttering heart, "I think so," he murmured breathlessly.

Pollux grinned, "You've been waiting for this for awhile don't you think?"

Zeref couldn't hide the blush that touched his cheeks, earning a laugh from his brothers. A servant knocked on the door, causing Pollux to answer with a flick of his tail.

"It's time," the slender mermaid murmured, her eyes downcast.

Castor grinned, a smile Zeref found rather disconcerting, even more when the twin rubbed his hands together, "Come on brother, you're getting married." Webbed fingers clasped around his pale arm, dragging Zeref towards the grand doors that would allow him to enter the Grand Throne room that had been filled with the merfolk from his kingdom.

 A room where his future mate was waiting.

2 weeks before

"Dimitri!" Zeref cried, his hand outstretched as he tried to reach his beloved.

Castor clasped his arm, "Zeref no!" his younger brother cried, pulling him as far away as possible from the dark cloud. Zeref squirmed against his brother's grip, his throat screaming obscenities, begging Castor to let him go. Fear gripped at his heart as he tried to wrench himself free.

"Let me go!" he cried as he tried to transform himself into his battle form but for some strange reason he couldn't.

"Stop!" Castor growled into his ear, "Think about the child! You'll kill him!" Zeref froze, stuck between saving the man he loved, or sparing the child within him that would one day be the heir of the throne. Tears sprung to his eyes, finally letting himself be taken away, unable to see the  body of his beloved floating within the poisonous waters.

It was then when he saw a dash of gold make it's way into the darkness, the strangely familiar figure disappearing within the cloud of poison.

"What was that?" Pollux said from beside Zeref, his hands clasping around the Prince's shoulders.

"I have absolutely no idea, but it's vaguely familiar to me," Castor muttered.

"Zeref!" a different voice cried, the accent blurring the r's, "Are you alright?"

Zeref blinked trough his tears, Morgan's familiar figure coming into view. He hadn't seen the merman in so long, he'd nearly forgotten about the witch's magical potions.

"Oh Morgan! You have to do something!" he said, rushing to Morgan, "Save him please."

Morgan bit his lip, "Atlantis and I found some help while we were on our way, I just hope we're not too late."

Zeref furrowed his brows in confusion before his blue eyes fell on a approaching figure that had emerged from the black cloud. It was a merman who's skin had hardened to look like amber stone, his green eyes flashing gold before fading away along with the hard skin. An odd scar laid beneath his eye, shaped in almost like a crack on glass. He immediately recognized the merman, his eyes widening in recognition. But it was what was in his arms that instantly caught his attention. Gone was the armor that Dimtri had created, his body returning to normal save for the blue tail that still remained.