A Walk on the Wild Side

"Where are you going?" I asked Elijah. I had been stretched out on the sofa reading The Great Gatsby and knew something was up when I saw Elijah leaving.

 "A ball hosted by the Strix," he answered shortly.

 "Can I come?"

 He looked surprised. "You want to?"

 "I do. I'm not stupid, son. I know you and your brother are up to your necks in some sort of trouble, and I want to know what." 

 He gave me a long stare. "Change into something neater. This is a ball, not a book club." 

 "Well, what if I don't have anything fancy like that?" I asked.

 He sighed. "Up the stairs, down the hall. My room is the third door on the right. Take something out of my closet. Please try to look decent." 

 Did he really expect to have that kind of outfit?, I thought as I ransacked his closet. You don't need to be dressed up to sit in your room and read The Count of Monte Cristo and Crime and Punishment, or to wander into the woods to get away from your insane family for an hour or two.

 Once I was ready, I went to join Elijah and Hayley, who it seemed had invited herself along.

 "Why is he here?" she asked Elijah as soon as she saw me. 

 "He asked to come," Elijah replied. "He has suspected there's trouble brewing."

 "How is Hope?" I asked Hayley.

 "She's fine," she snapped. "And I don't see how that's any of your concern, anyway."

 "Perhaps we should get going," said Elijah. "Father, do you know who the Strix are?"

 "Unfortunately, I do," I replied. "And as far as I'm concerned, they are not worth even thinking about."

 Elijah gave me a strange look. "I see." 

 When we arrived, I did my best to go unnoticed, hoping that there was no one who would recognize me. That Aya woman was there. She knew me. And with her, of all people, was Marcel Gerard, Rebekah's former lover. Where could he possibly fit into anything the Strix might be planning?

 Then, I heard a voice I knew all too well.

 "Mikael?"

 I sighed and turned around to face him. "Hello, Tristan."

~~~~~~

 Dublin, Ireland 
 September 1917

 "Are you ever going to stop following me?" I asked Tristan. It had been a week since we'd met. He had kindly been letting me sleep in his house. 

 "Hotels and inns are nasty," he had said, which I actually had experience with. "You're better off staying with me during your stay."

 "You still have not told me what you want from me," I pointed out as I turned down the next street.

 "And who says I want anything from you? Did you ever think that perhaps I am merely becoming fond of you."

 "I don't have time for games, de Martel." I stopped walking and turned around to face him. "What is it you want?" 

 To my deepest shock, he grabbed my waist and pressed his lips against mine. I should have pushed him away and fled. But I didn't. It felt too good.

 Eventually, Tristan pulled away and gave me a mischievous smile. "Now, how about you and I go home to finish this conversation?" 

~~~~~~

 Time seemed to stop. The entire room faded away as we stood there staring at each other.

 "I...had no idea you were in New Orleans," he said. "I certainly didn't expect you to be here."

 "I honestly don't know why I came," I said.

 "Well, now that you are here, will you dance with me?" He held out his hand. I took it, following him onto the dance floor. Elijah and Hayley were nearby. I locked eyes with Elijah and gave him a nod, trying to tell him I was fine. He nodded back, so I hoped he had understood.

 "I've missed you, Mikael," Tristan was saying. "You just disappeared. It's been nearly a century."

 "I know," I said. "I...did miss you sometimes. I left-"

 "To kill Klaus. I know. But what of our plans?"

 "You mean your plans," I corrected him. "Yours and Aurora's and Lucien's. Klaus thinks Lucien is his friend, his ally. But you and I know the truth. And where is your sister, Tristan? Do you have her locked up in an asylum somewhere?"

 "Aurora is fine, Mikael. And I don't see you trying to kill Klaus now."

 "My children love him, even if they are not always on the same side. I want to be a better father, Tristan. I have made progress with Freya, but I have no idea where's Rebekah's gone, Elijah barely looks at me, and I would honestly rather not talk to Niklaus. There was little Hope, but she lives with her mother and stepfather now, and they don't like me one bit."

 "So why don't you rejoin the Strix, Mikael? Stay here with me. You won't have to worry about anything."

 I looked into Tristian's eyes, and for that one moment I wondered if we really could be.

 Then Klaus and Lucien Castle burst into the party, either pretending to be drunk or drunk for real. 

 "Oh God, it's a room full of Elijahs!" 

 One of the young ladies with them was obviously Freya in disguise. We locked eyes, and I waved my arms in a way as if asking, What are you doing here, Freya? Why are you wearing a pink wig? She just gave me a nod and slipped away.

 Lord, children these days.

 Then I turned and saw Klaus staring straight at me. I was still standing next Tristan. I took him being momentarily distracted as an opportunity to sneak away.

~~~~~~

 I put Elijah's clothes back in his room and crawled into bed. Seeing Tristan had actually shaken me. I knew I would have to tell my children and Klaus that Tristan and Lucien were likely to be in league together. And if they were both in New Orleans, Aurora could not be too far behind. She would certainly cause trouble for Klaus.

 But I didn't want to think about it yet. I would get some sleep and then worry about it in the morning.