High Water and a Devil's Daughter

I understood that these were desperate times, and desperate times can call for desperate measures. What I didn't think necessary was locking me away in the compound for the day while my children were out doing who knows what with their time.

 "Where are you going?" I asked Henrik when I saw him leaving with Elijah.

 "Um...we're going out to...do something," Henrik said, looking at his brother uncertainly.

 "What exactly would that be?"

 "Nothing for you to worry about, Father," Elijah said. "Come on, Henrik."

 "Now, hold on." I began to follow them out of the compound, but something forced me back from the exit. I reached out my hand, and found it being thrust back towards me.

 "What's happened?" I asked.

 "I did that," Freya said, suddenly appearing on the other side of the invisible barrier. "I'm sorry, Father, but we have to keep Hope safe."

 "What about me?" I asked. "Do you really think I need protecting?"

 "No, but with you here, the better protection Hope will have. You're just as strong as Klaus and Hayley. I have to go."

 "Freya!" I called.

 "Come on, Henrik," Elijah said again.

 "Henrik Mikaelson, are you really just going to let me be locked up here for who knows how long?" I demanded of my youngest son.

 "I'm sorry, Dad," he said, "But it's not going to be for too long. Promise."

 "Henrik!" I called as he left with Elijah. "Do not leave me locked up here."

 I pounded on the magical barrier, but with no results. I was trapped, while my children were out doing who knows what.

 I spent a lot of time hanging around by the doorway, when Klaus eventually spotted me and asked, "What's your problem this time?"

 "Isn't it obvious? I am trapped in here with no way out."

 He sighed. "Are you telling me that on top of everything else wrong with you, now you're claustrophobic?"

 "I am not claustrophobic. I am worried about my children. Freya's off doing magic somewhere, and Elijah dragged Henrik off to parts unknown!"

 "Well, do you think I'm happy with this arrangement?" He sighed. "Apparently, talking to you is a waste of time. I am going to go help Hayley. Sit there and cry, if that's what you want."

 I was ready to go after him and tell him off, when I heard, "I wouldn't. He's mad, I hear. Has arguments with himself in alleyways or something like that."

 "Erik." I turn back to the doorway. "What are you doing here?" 

 "I wanted to see you," he replied. "I did expect to find myself locked out."

 "You can thank my children for that. I know it's to protect Hope, but I don't see why they had to lock me in here with Klaus."

 "Perhaps they thought it was so you could help protect little Hope."

 I shrugged. "I guess so. I think they think I'm pretty unpredictable. I think I am, too. I don't blame for not being too comfortable with me helping."

 "Well, I would want your help," Erik said.

 "Thanks, but I don't think you can get in."

 "I'll stay out here, then. We can still chat."

 So we stayed by the gate for a while, talking about things, anything to keep my mind off of the fact that I was trapped in the compound with no way out.

 As nighttime came around, Erik said, "I suppose I should go. I will come back tomorrow."

 "Well, hopefully I can invite you in by then," I said.

 He smiled. "I certainly hope so."

 I decided to just go up to bed, since I didn't seem to be needed for anything. I had discovered that a few of my books had been salvageable, and I stayed up to read until I heard a crashing from down below. When I went down, there was a fight between Klaus and Hayley and some people who must have gotten through Freya's barrier. What exactly was going on, I had no idea, but I immediately jumped into the fight to stop them.

 Once they were all dead, I asked Klaus, "What was that?"

 "The Hollow's people. I have to find Hope."

 "I suppose I'll get rid of the bodies," I said to myself, looking around at the corpses on the ground.

~~~~~~

 "Dad? Dad."

 I opened my eyes to Henrik standing over me, his eyes wild and his face filled with fear.

 "What is it?" I asked.

 "I...couldn't sleep. Dad," his voice shook, "When I was out with Elijah today, I helped him kill people. It was some harvest killing ritual thing, and he needed to do it for something with the ancestors, but Vincent Griffith didn't want him to, so Elijah did it anyway, and we almost died and-"

 "Henrik." I put my hands on his shoulders. "Go back to bed. Try to sleep. If you can't, or you have any bad dreams, come back."

 He nodded and silently left the room.

 Elijah and I were going to have a very long talk in the morning.