Keepers of the House + I Hear You Knocking Pt. 1

After having to endure a lengthy argument about who was taking Hope to New Orleans, I lost all patience and cried, "Why don't we all go, if you're just going to fight about it?"

"I think Mikael has a point," Hayley said. "Maybe we should all go."

 That was how it was decided.

~~~~~~ 

 I watched from the doorway as Klaus sat with Hope. It seemed so right, them together, father and daughter, that I knew I had done the right thing by helping Hayley bring them back together.

 Hope looked over and saw me. "Hi, Grandpa," she said in a small voice. "Where's Mom?"

 "She...had an errand to run," I answered.

 "What about Uncle Henrik?"

 "He's with your Aunt Freya, which I think will actually be good for him, since they're both witches. He'll have someone to learn from."

 "You can come in, Grandpa," Hope said. "I don't mind."

 I looked over at Klaus, who was purposefully avoiding looking at me. I stepped in and smiled at her.

 "How do you feel, Hope?" I asked her. "Any better?"

 She shook her head. "Not much."

 "Mikael, would you mind watching her for a few minutes?" Klaus asked. "I need to talk to Hayley. I don't think I need to tell you what I can do to you if anything should happen to her on your watch."

 "No, you certainly don't." I stepped out of the way as he left the room. 

 "You still have a fever," I said as I felt Hope's forehead. "But Aunt Freya and Uncle Henrik will be here soon, and I think they have something that can help with that."

 "What happened between you and Dad?" she asked.

 I froze. "What do you mean?"

 "I'm not stupid, Grandpa. I see the way you and act around each other. Something bad happened, didn't it?"

 "You could say that. But that's a story for another day. Hopefully, a long day away. Who don't you try to rest for now?"

 "Will you stay?" she asked.

 I nodded. "If you want me to." 

 "Okay. Grandpa?"

 "Yes?"

 "If you ever see blue lights, don't look at them. Please."

~~~~~~

 "Well, what have you been up to?" I asked Henrik when he arrived at the compound. 

 He shrugged. "Things. I helped Freya and Keelin break into Marcel Gerard's apartment." 

 "You broke into his home? The man who can kill an Original and could certainly kill you? Why, Henrik?"

 He shrugged again. "Freya didn't really say. I think she was looking for something that could help her find a way to kill him."

 I sighed. "Of course. Why must it all be so complicated?" 

 He looked around. "So, this is the place?"

 "Mm-hmm. I swear, it used to look neater."

 "I know. Freya told me about it. She's great, Dad. I think she's willing to teach me stuff about magic."

 I smiled a little at that. "Then that's good. At least someone around here is getting along. Hayley and your brothers have been gone most of the day, and I have no idea what they're doing." 

 When Hayley did return, I asked her, "Did you find anything out?" 

 She sighed. "You have no idea what kind of day I have had. I promise, I'll tell you in the morning, but I just really want to see my daughter right now." 

 "Whatever this Hollow is, it's bad news, isn't it?" Henrik asked me.

 "It seems so."

~~~~~~

 "Grandpa?"

 The sound of Hope's voice woke me up. "What is it, Hope? You should be asleep."

 "I know," she said, "But I had this dream. Grandpa, I think the Hollow is here."

 "What? Here in the compound?" I sat up. "Why would you think that?"

 "I just think so."

 I sighed and got up. "All right. You stay here, and I'll have a look around."

 I ended up walking all around the compound, and found no sign of any intruders.

 "There's no one here but us," I said when I got back to my room. "I think you should get back to bed."

 She nodded. "Okay. I'll see you in the morning."

 I watched her go back down the hall to be sure she got back to her room. Suddenly feeling nervous, I quietly opened to the door the room next to mine. Henrik had fallen asleep fully clothed, book in hand, and was obviously oblivious to whatever was going on. So I thought perhaps Hope just had a bad dream.

~~~~~~

 The next day, after Hope had left with Hayley and Elijah for the bayou, I decided to go for a walk by myself. After all of the insanity of the last few days, I felt that I really needed some alone time.

 "Please stick with Freya," I said to Henrik. "I think she'll be a good influence."

 He nodded. "I think so, too. I promise I won't do anything too insane today, like breaking into people's houses."

 "Yes, please don't." 

 On the outside, New Orleans didn't seem to have changed much in the last five years. On those with the right knowledge knew what was actually going on inside.

 Hayley told me about the adventures of the day before. This Hollow creature was targeting children, and that was why Hope was so affected. Perhaps that was why she had had that dream. She seemed fine in the morning, and was excited about going to the bayou to see her grandmother, so I dropped it.

 I had been walking around for a while, lost in thought, when I heard Klaus' voice. He was in a nearby alley, apparently having an argument with himself, since there didn't seem to be anyone else there with him.

 "Niklaus?" I stepped into the alleyway. "Are you all right? What are you-"

 "Leave me alone!" he cried, and I heard the cracking of my own bones as he reached out and snapped my neck.