Alone with Everybody

"Has something happened?" I asked when Kol walked in. I thought he had been out with Davina, but he looked shaken. 

 "It's Finn," he said. "He's back." 

 Elijah looked shocked. "Finn? How?"

 "That's I would like to know," I said. Another Original back from the dead. What next?

 "I think when Davina brought me back, he must have found a way to come back himself."

 "How is that a bad thing?" Freya asked.

 "Yes, perhaps Freya's right," I chimed in. "If Finn wants to rejoin the family, we should welcome him." 

 "And why would I want to rejoin this family?" 

 I watched as my eldest son walked into the room. He did not look too happy to see any of us.

 "It's really you, Finn," I breathed.

 "How did you get back here?" Elijah asked.

 "Isn't it obvious? I joined Kol when he was resurrected. I was not going to miss an opportunity to return to the land of the living."

 "So you can have a shot at trying to kill us again?" Kol sneered.

 "Really, Kol! Did you think Finn might want to make amends?" I said. I didn't want to think that Finn was evil. Although I was faced with the fact that my children spent most of the time being evil.

 "Father, I think you should take Kol out of here," Elijah said to me. "I'll deal with this." 

 "Kol." I tugged on his arm; he was still glaring at his brother. "Please come with me."

 I took him up to my room. "Here. This is my sanctuary, for when I don't feel like seeing Klaus."

 He scoffed and gave a small smile. "And I suppose that's all the time?"

 "Of course it is. Kol," I put my hands on his shoulders, "If Finn-"

 "Don't say his name." He pushed me away and stepped back. "What would you know about my relationship with any of my brothers? For over a thousand years, you didn't care about us! You just wanted your revenge!"

 "Do not say that." It surprised me how eerily calm my voice came out. "You don't know what I did during those times."

 "I learned about your little romance with one of the enemies! Tristan, wasn't it? I remember him. Of all the men you could have chosen."

 "Tristan was misguided. It was mostly Lucien. Yes, I did care for Tristan, still do. But when he told me about the prophecy, I knew I had to do something. I thought that if I killed Klaus, that would cover the foe part of the prophecy, and then I could protect the rest you in whatever way I could. But I never got the chance to."

 "You see this as your chance, then?" he asked. "To show you can be a good father. That's why you let Klaus send Tristan to the bottom of the ocean."

 "Yes. As much as it pained me. But he and I will be reunited one day. For now, I think you show go spend some time with Davina. She must see good things in you if she would be in league with the Strix to bring you back."

 He smiled. "Yeah, she must. Doesn't mean there is any good in me."

~~~~~~

 I couldn't understand why Finn had decided to join Kol on his journey back to the land of the living. It was obvious he hated being a vampire. I overheard a conversation between him and Elijah in which he was pleading with Elijah to just let him transfer himself into the body of a witch so he could live a peaceful mortal life. It actually pained me to think that my eldest was so unhappy. 

 I tried talking to Finn, but he wanted nothing to do with me. It hurt, but I didn't blame him for it. I decided to just go for a long walk and hope that when I returned there wouldn't a war raging.

~~~~~~

 It was close enough to a war.

 Elijah had somehow gotten hold of the last bit of white oak left (besides my stake, which I had been thinking about destroying), and Finn was begging Elijah to let him use it to kill himself.

 "Suicide?" I cried. "What has happened here? I'm gone for two hours and chaos ensues!" I pulled the white oak away from Elijah and gripped it in my own hand.

 "Do you what Kol's little witch did to me?" Finn cried. "All I wanted was to be able to live a peaceful life without any of you! She took it away! She cursed me so that I will be trapped in this body for eternity!"

 "Oh, Finn." I looked at the white oak I was clasping tightly in my hand. "This is very dangerous, you know. Perhaps it should be destroyed."

 "I say we let Freya hold onto it," said Lucien. 

 Why Lucien was there, I've no clue. But he did bring up a god point. Freya was responsible and trustworthy.

 I handed the white oak to Freya. "Be careful with it, my dear. Now, all of you stop fighting, or I swear I will hurt you all."

~~~~~~

 That night, once things were quiet, I went to the fireplace to light it. I looked down at the white oak stake in my hand. It wasn't really worth keeping anymore. I had no desire to kill any of my children. Even my desire to kill Klaus had cooled, though I still despised him. And besides, no one had to know I had destroyed it.

 I threw the last white oak stake into the fireplace and watched it burn.