The Bloody Crown Part 2

I stared at the boy in the doorway. It was definitely my Henrik.

 "Yes, Father," he said. "I am Henrik. I came back." He stepped into Hayley's apartment. "I know you must be wondering how I came back." 

 I merely nodded, finding myself to be truly speechless.

 "When Kol and Finn returned here from the ancestral well, I secretly followed them. I immediately felt out of place here." He smiled a little. "The world has changed in the last thousand years. I walked out into the street, and I got hit by a...car. That's what they're called. I was taken to a hospital. I recovered, but I had something they called amnesia. I had no idea who I was or where I came from. No one came looking for me."

 Could that have been part of all the uneasy feelings I'd had? That somehow, deep down, I knew my boy was alive, and needed me?

 "How did you get your memory back?" Hayley asked. 

 "I hated being in that hospital. But while I was there, I realized I was magical. I was able to steal a pair of hospital clothes-scrubs, I think they're called-and escaped. I just wandered around the streets all night. And then today, I saw Niklaus and Rebekah both enter the building across the street. Then I saw Rebekah come back here, and I followed her. When I saw you all gathered around, that was it. All my memories came back to my mind. I am Henrik Mikaelson, and you are my father." He looked down the bodies of his siblings. "I think I understand what has happened. I...I feel that this is my fault."

 "Your fault?" I cried. "Henrik, how could any of this be your fault?"

 "Because it was my death that caused you and Mother to turn you all into vampires. If Niklaus and I had not gone out that night-"

 "Don't, Henrik." I stepped up to him and cupped his face in my hands. "None of this is your fault. What Esther and I did was our choice, and what happened today had nothing to do with you. Do not think that you are responsible. And I promise, we will save them."

 Henrik nodded. "I believe you." He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into a hug.

 I let him rest his head on my shoulder, and realized I was actually crying. The day had been emotionally taxing, with Marcel's attack and now Henrik's return.

 But at least now I would have one child to keep me company.

~~~~~~

 Henrik gladly held Hope and Hayley and I lifted the coffins into the truck. I noticed Hayley pause by Elijah for an extra long moment. I gently placed my hand on her shoulder.

 "We'll bring him back," I said. "However long it takes."

 She nodded. "However long it takes." 

 Henrik and I stayed in the back of the truck while Hayley drove.

 "I think she would just rather not be back here," I said to Henrik. "So, you're a witch, too?"

 "I am. I think I might like to be a vampire someday, but not yet. Hopefully, I'll still be alive by time this is over. I want to meet Freya and see the others again. You know, Father, if they all die-"

 "I will be the last Original. I know. Hayley and Klaus' sire line will still be left, but I will be the only Original. But I won't let that happen."

 "I know you won't. Father, can you tell me about our family, since they can't tell me themselves?"

 "I can tell you what I know, but it's nothing very good."

 He smiled and shrugged. "I know. I don't mind. I just want to hear about them."

~~~~~~

 I sat quietly as we drove, Henrik now asleep with his head resting on my shoulder. I stared at the row of coffins. My children.

 I didn't care how many years or decades, how many centuries it would take. They were what mattered, I had realized. 

 "I'll save you," I whispered to the coffins. "I promise." 

  I had realized the meaning of their vow. Always and orever. 

 "Always and Forever," I said aloud. 

 I finally knew what it meant.