Behind the Black Horizon

I was sitting in the back seat of Elijah's car, on our way to Mystic Falls to save Freya.

 As soon as we discovered that Freya had been kidnapped by Lucien, with help from Vincent, of all people, Elijah and Finn went off to use Finn's connection with Vincent to track them down. I naturally demanded to join them. The very idea of Lucien locking Freya away somewhere made me want to rip him apart. I'd known trusting him could not be good. I knew he had an agenda, but what that agenda was, I could not figure out.

 I sat silently on the car ride, annoyed at having been banished to the back seat when it was my daughter who was in danger. But that made me the first one to recognize where we were going, the landscape which had once been so familiar to me, where Esther and I raised a family-and created monsters.

 Lucien had taken Freya to Mystic Falls.

 But why? Why Mystic Falls? What was he doing? 

 Elijah drove into town and stopped the car. Mystic Falls did not look any different from the last time I had been there. Elijah and Finn both got out of the car without even looking at me. They were so caught up in their sibling quarrels, they must forgotten I was even there. I just followed along with them, steaming inside. They knew I was worried about Freya-Lucien could have already killed her, for all we knew. And all they were doing was arguing about how long Klaus had left Finn daggered in a box. 

 Then we came across an another distraction: some young policeman who claimed to just run all vampires out of Mystic Falls, and whom apparently Elijah knew.

 "Matthew Donovan," he said, "how adorably inconvenient. Unfortunately, we don't have time to play right now. I'll pass your regards along to Rebekah."

 "Elijah, can we please just ignore whatever that creature is supposed to be and just save Freya?" I asked him. Then I turned to this Donovan person. "I don't care who you are, or how many vampires you ran out of Mystic Falls, but my daughter is in danger, and I'm going to save her."

 "And from what I remember, you're supposed to be dead," he replied. "Is Rebekah actually in trouble?"

 "He's not talking about Rebekah," said Elijah. "We have another sister, Freya. She's been kidnapped and we have to find her. Now go about your own business, Donovan, or I'm sure my father and I will have no problem with ripping you apart."

 "What happens in this town is my business," said Donovan. "Who kidnapped your sister?" 

 Finn reached out to grab me by the shoulder. "Father, the spell is working. I know where they took Freya."

 "You do?" I turned to Elijah and Donovan. "You hear that? You can come with me and Finn to save Freya, or you can stand here and bicker. Lead the way, Finn." 

~~~~~~

 The closer we got, the more familiar everything became. Why would Lucien bring Freya to the place where Esther used her magic to make us the first vampires?

 We got to a clearing where I spotted Freya and Lucien. He was using my daughter as a shield, the coward. But then Finn used Donovan's gun to shoot Lucien, who collapsed to the ground. Wooden bullets, I realized.

 Elijah used his blood to heal Freya. I was beyond relieved that she was still alive.

 "Wait. Father, Lucien isn't dead," she said to me. "It was part of the spell. That was the last step of becoming an Original?"

 "He's what?"

 I quickly turned. Lucien had risen from the ground, now-red eyes gleaming. I grabbed the gun and tried to shoot at him. It did no harm. Elijah charged at him. That also didn't work. And before fleeing, he bit Finn.

 "We have to get back to the compound," said Freya. "Klaus can cure him." 

 Elijah drove madly down the highway at what was probably twice the speed limit. As he drove, Freya told me what had happened: Lucien had used Esther's spell to become some sort of Original himself. 

 "Another Original?" I asked. "Like us? Could he be some sort of hybrid?"

 "I suppose it's possible," said Elijah. "We should call Klaus and Kol, tell them what's happened." 

~~~~~~

 Klaus and Kol were there when we returned to the compound. Klaus gave Finn his blood to drink, to heal Lucien's bite.

 "You'll heal, Finn." I put my hand on his shoulder. "We'll find a way to stop Lucien." 

 He nodded and gave me a small smile. Then turned to his siblings. "Thank you for today, all of you. Today I saw a glimpse of your coveted always and forever."

  That was all he got to say. He began coughing up blood.

 Klaus's blood didn't work.

 "Is there anything else we can do?" I asked the others. "We can't just let him die!"

 "No, no," Finn said hoarsely. "Don't do that, any of you. I never wanted this life, anyway. But don't leave me, any of you."

 We all stayed gathered around him until he was gone.

~~~~~~

 When it was my turn to speak, I said, "I am sorry I was not a better father to you. You were my eldest son, brave and strong. I loved you. Rest in peace now, Finn."

 As I spoke, in my head I was silently thinking of how my son could be avenged. 

~~~~~~

 August 1918
 Dublin, Ireland

"So, Tristan has gotten himself an Original lover, has he?"

 I looked up at the young man who had just entered the parlor. "And who might you be? A friend of Tristan's?"

 He scoffed. "Friend, hardly." He bowed deeply. "Lucien Castle, at your service. Don't worry about introducing yourself, I already know who you are, Mikael. I heard you were here."

 "Did Tristan tell you who I am?" I asked. 

 "He didn't have to. I already know you by reputation. You're the Destroyer." Without invitation, he sat down next to me closer than I would have liked. "Now, I have to ask, what is a warrior like you doing with boring old Tristan?  You could have far better, you know. Much, much better." 

 "Like you, do you mean?"

 "Oh, no. My heart already belongs to another. You are rather charming, though." He flashed me a smile. 

 "If you and Tristan are not friends, why are you here, Mr. Castle?" I asked him.

 "Tristan and I are not friends," he said, "but we are allies, allies in a common goal. The same goal you have starving for."

 "You want to kill Klaus Mikaelson."

 "Well, who doesn't hate him? He and his siblings are evil. Everywhere they go, they hurt someone. The world will be a much better place once they are gone."

~~~~~~

I looked out my window at the city lights below, then at the sky above.

 "What did we do, Esther?" I whispered. "What did we create?"