The Devil Comes Here and Sighs

There is no pain quite as horrible as that which a parent experiences after losing a child. I could not help blaming myself for the loss of Finn. And that was how everything started. Esther and I lost Henrik, and we turned ourselves and our children into vampires thinking we were keeping them safe. But after everything that had happened and was happening, I knew they were not safe at all. If anything, we all worse off.

~~~~~~

 Since Freya was the only one of us who was still human, the compound was put in her name to keep anyone from getting in to attack.

 "Are you sure this is a good idea?" I asked her. "If your name is on the deed, then that could make you an even bigger target."

 "I can take care of myself," she said. "And besides, I know you and my brothers have my back should anything happen. But right now we need to worry about stopping Lucien and Aurora."

 "Aurora? Why?"

 "Because Lucien broke her out of the prison Klaus made for her. At least we're pretty sure it was him."

 "Well, it must have been," I said. "I can't think of anyone else who would want to free her." 

 "Freya. Father." Elijah walked in looking rather shaken. He held up a piece of paper. "Lucien has taken Klaus hostage. He wants to meet me. Alone."

 "You can't go to him alone, Elijah," I said. "You saw what he did to Finn. He can kill you."

 "I know he can. Father, I don't expect you to understand this, given your history with Niklaus. I have to save him. He's my brother."

 To my surprise, I did understand. He didn't want to lose another brother.

 "Please be careful," I said.

 After he left, I went out to the courtyard to find Hayley and Camille together, apparently making some sort of plan.

 "And what might you be plotting?" I asked.

 "Trying to save Klaus," Hayley replied. "Nothing you would care about."

 She had a point. Normally I wouldn't care if Klaus died, but since I just saw how devoted Elijah was to helping him, I had a sudden interest.

 "You could let me tag along," I suggested to the ladies. "I destroyed that white oak stake I had. I can't do any real harm to Klaus anymore. And Elijah is devoting himself to saving his brother, so...I feel a need to join in."

 They both looked surprised. I was surprised to hear those words come out of my mouth.

 "We could let him come," Camille said to Hayley. "There can't be that much harm in it if he's telling the truth."

 "Let's go, then," said Hayley. "We're wasting time." 

~~~~~~

 Once we were there, Hayley burst into Lucien's apartment to attack. Aurora was there, as was Klaus, chained to some wooden thing that I couldn't quite make out what it was. 

 Hayley was about to kill Aurora when Klaus told her not to.

 "She took the serum," he said. "If she dies, she becomes what Lucien is." 

 In the moment Hayley hesitated, Aurora snapped her neck. I could only stand helpless in the hallway, since I wasn't invited in. 

 "Well, who should I kill first?" said Aurora. "I know you don't care about your stepfather, Klaus, so I won't even bother with him. Besides, when Tristan comes back, he'll want Mikael alive. So, shall it be the mother of your child, or the woman of your dreams?" She turned towards where Camille and I stood in the doorway. "Do you know what happens when a vampire enters a home uninvited?" She grabbed Camille and forced her through the doorway.

 Camille immediately let out a scream of pain and tried to fight back. I could not enter myself, but I was able to reach out far enough to grab Aurora and slam her into the hallway wall. Then Hayley woke up just in time to snap her neck. With Aurora unconscious, Hayley freed Klaus and we all returned to the compound as quickly as we could.

~~~~~~

 Freya said she would use Aurora to see if there was any way to kill this new Original. I then learned from Elijah that apparently the ancestors were on Lucien's side. They also wanted us Mikaelsons dead.

 "And why did Lucien want to see you alone?" I asked.

 "He wanted to make a trade. He would return Klaus to us if we gave him Tristan. But I didn't. I honestly don't know where Tristan is."

 "No idea." Tristan was out there somewhere, drowning and suffering. And I still wasn't able to save him. "I think I'm going to my room."

 I began to ascend the stairs when I heard, "Just a moment."

 I looked down to see Klaus walking towards the staircase.

 "I did not expect to see you as part of my rescue team," he said.

 "Well, neither did I. But I saw today how worried Elijah was, and I didn't want him to lose another brother to Lucien. And you are Hope's father. I have grown fond of that little girl, and I don't want her to lose your father. I destroyed my white oak stake."

 He actually looked surprised to hear that. "Why?"

 "Because I wouldn't use it on any of you, not even you anymore. I had to let go of my past, and that was the way to do it." I turned and climbed the rest of the stairs. "And yes, I do believe we can consider ourselves allies!"