I Hear You Knocking Pt. 2

When I awoke, I was no longer in the alley. Instead, I could feel a soft bed underneath me, but I wasn't in my own room at the compound.

 I sat up with a jolt and looked around. This was nowhere I had ever been before. Had Klaus done something to me? Had someone kidnapped me while I was unconscious.

 "Don't look so afraid, Mikael. You know I won't hurt you."

 I turned to look at the man standing next to the bed. "Erik?"

 He smiled. "Oh, so you do remember me."

 "Of course I do." It was indeed Erik Nurmi, whom I had met while in the company of the Strix decades ago.

 "What are you doing here?" I asked him. "How did you even find me?"

 "Oh, that," he said. "I'm not sure how you're going to feel about this, Mikael, but I believe Klaus Mikaelson has finally-how is it said these days?-snapped. He was walking through the streets, apparently having an argument with himself, as there was no one with him. Can you imagine?"

 There was something funny about the way he said it, and soon enough we were both laughing at the image of Klaus standing around in an alley, having a heated argument with himself.

 "Wait, wait," I said as I calmed my laughter. "It-it's not supposed to be funny."

 "But it is, isn't?" Erik asked, smiling.

 "Don't make me laugh again, please." I stood up from the bed. "I have to get home, back to the compound."

 "Well, you don't have to go alone," he said. "Let me go with you, in case we run into mad Klaus again."

 "I don't think he's crazy," I said. "There's got to be a reasonable explanation for earlier. It is the same day, isn't it?"

 "Of course it is. You haven't been out for that long, Mikael. Now, show me the way to this compound of yours."

 "So, what brought you to New Orleans?" I asked him as we walked down the street.

 "Well, I heard the Mikaelsons were back," he said, "And that you were included. Funny, I heard you died some years back."

 "I did, but I got myself brought back from the Other Side."

 He whistled. "Back from the dead. Impressive. Were you also kept in a magical sleep for five years?"

 "No, I was helping-how do you that part?"

 "Word gets around fast."

 "So, you came because you wanted to see me?"

 "Yes, actually, I did," he answered. "Well, it's been about a century since I last saw you. I did like you, you know."

 "Oh." After a short silence, I asked, "You're not still with the Strix, are you?"

 He laughed. "Of course not. I abandoned them years ago, not long after you took off. I realized just how insane they all were, and came to my senses. Now I am much happier with myself."

 "Well, here's the compound," I said as we approached. "Why don't you come inside? I'm sure at least one of my children has to be home. I'm back!" I called as I walked into the compound.

 The first person to appear was Henrik.

 "Where have you been?" he demanded. "You've been AWOL for the last four hours!"

 "I know, I know," I said. "I'm sorry, Henrik. I went for a walk, and..."

 "He was attacked by Klaus," Erik cut in. "I saw the man. He's most likely lost it."

 Henrik looked at him. "And who are you?"

 "Erik Nurmi," he bowed, "At your service."

 "Erik is...something of an old friend," I said to Henrik. "I met him when I was in the company of the Strix, but he abandoned them years ago. Where is Klaus?"

 "That." He sighed. "He was being haunted by the Hollow, that thing I was telling you about. It came to him in the form of...well, you."

 "Me?" I asked. "Why?"

 "The Hollow," Erik mused. "I've heard about that. Dark magic, it is. Perhaps it was trying to scare Klaus."

 "Anyway, he is not in a good way right now," Henrik said. "It's been a rough day. I think Hayley and Hope are still down at the bayou, thankfully."

 "I think I should talk to Klaus," I said. "Thank you for coming to my aid, Erik."

 He gave me a smile. "Of course. Good meeting you, Henrik."

 "Where did he come from?" Henrik asked after Erik left. "I thought you didn't have friends."

 "I'll tell you about it later," I said. "I just...want to ask your brother about something."

 I found Klaus sitting alone, just staring off into space.

 "I suppose you're wondering why I attacked you," he said when I entered the room.

 "It would be good to have an answer to that," I said. "And you apparently abandoned me, because someone else came and helped me."

 "I know." He sighed. "I have had a horrible day."

 "It sounds like it." I sat down in the other chair. "Did the Hollow disguise as me to scare you?"

 He nodded, not meeting my eyes. "It wants me. It wants my strength, my power. It appeared to me as something I feared."

 "Are you still afraid of me?" I asked, leaning closer. "Do I still scare you, even after all this time?"

 He didn't answer. I reached out and touched him gently on the shoulder. He didn't move away, or even flinch.

 "It just showed me an old nightmare," he said. "No, I don't exactly like you, but I believe we are on the same side in this. I saw you with Hope yesterday. You care about her, and she obviously likes you. Hayley seems to trust you these days. So, if you want to help me find the Hollow, I don't care as long as you don't get in my way."

 I nodded. "I understand. Well, that's all I wanted to ask. I'll get out of your way."

 "Before you go," he said, "Did Hope tell you not to look into the blue light?"

 "Yes, she did," I answered, "Yesterday. And last night, she...she woke me up, saying she thought the Hollow was here. I thought it was just a bad dream, but she must have meant that it had gotten to you." 

 He sighed. "I suppose so."

 He didn't say anything else, so I got up and left the room.