Beautiful Mistake

"You two are unbelievable," I muttered. "Five vampire children, and they're all barbarians. Your sister is the only one of you who is decent in any way."

 "Which sister? It seems we have two now," Klaus retorted.

 "What happened here?" Freya had returned home and now saw her brothers covered in blood.

 "They were acting like absolute savages," I answered. "But I helped them see that a truce is the best path to take. Isn't that right, boys?" I smiled at them.

 Neither one smiled back.

 "Well, I'm going to bed. Goodnight, Freya, dear. You boys stay out of trouble. No ripping each other apart."

 "Goodnight to you, as well," I heard Elijah mutter. 

This must be why so many people are choosing not to have children, I thought as I went up the stairs. It's probably the cause of most premature deaths.

 With that crisis taken care of, the next problem to tackle was Tristan de Martel. Even though I had very abruptly left him and the Strix once I discovered Klaus was in New Orleans, I still actually cared for the little devil. If he cared anything about me, perhaps I could get him to see things my way. I could get him on my side, and then I could just oh so conveniently get rid of Aurora and Lucien. I never liked either of them anyway. I had the feeling Aurora was already in New Orleans-she had to be where Klaus had heard about the case of the accidental compulsion. And Lucien...I had found him somewhat disturbing when I met him. He and Tristan had had a very unsteady alliance, due to their distrust towards each other.

 I ought to go look for Tristan tomorrow, I thought. Talk some sense into him.
 I knew I'd often come off as cold and cruel, but I did love my children (maybe not Klaus, but he didn't technically count as 'my children'). I wanted to keep them safe from whatever evil prophecy was out there. 

 ~~~~~~

 When I awoke the next morning, the sun was just beginning to rise. I quickly dressed and stuffed the white oak stake into my jacket (just in case Klaus tried to steal it), then quietly snuck out of the compound. I silently stalked down the street. Where to start with looking for Tristan?

 "Looking for me, are you, darling?"

 I turned around and smiled. "Hello, Tristan. As it happens, I was looking for you." I slipped my arm through his. "Come walk with me. This isn't the most fabulous city there is, but it is certainly an interesting one." 

 "Tell me, Mikael, what have you been up to in the last century?" Tristan asked as we walked down the street. "More particularly, what are you doing living in Klaus's home?"

 "That is a question I have not been able to answer myself. I was looking out for little Hope, but she lives with her mother and stepfather now. Freya still lives at the compound, but she spends most of her time worrying about her siblings. I haven't seen Rebekah in months, and Elijah and Klaus are always busy with their own problems. No one seems to actually care that I've been living there, so I have taken advantage of that. It is somewhat luxurious."

 "And you don't have any friends?"

 "Tristan, you know I've always been socially awkward. I wouldn't know where to start. I tried talking to Davina Claire-she's the one that brought me back to life-but all I've gotten for my efforts is 'Go away, Mikael'."

 Tristan abruptly walking and looked at me in shock. "You were killed?"

 "Yes. Klaus killed me. But I wasn't dead for too long. Just before the Other Side collapsed, Davina resurrected me because she wanted revenge on the boy. I convinced her that I was the perfect way for her to get her revenge. But it didn't work out that way. And because of my children's problems, Kol is still dead. Davina loved him. That's why she's hates all of us, and she's out for vengeance."

 "Well, so am I!" Tristan cried. "And you've just stated another reason for Klaus to go. He murdered you, Mikael. In cold blood."

 "In all fairness, I did try to murder him in cold blood first," I pointed out. "And he can't hurt me again. The remaining white oak stake is in my care, and Klaus doesn't know it, but I stole all his magical daggers when he wasn't looking."

 He gave an amused smile. "Really?"

 "Well, he should have done a better job of hiding them. All I had to do was slip into his room while he was out. He must not have noticed, or else he would have come after me for them by now."

 "Yes, I suppose he would have."

 We continued on our way down the street.

 "What plans do you and Lucien have to get revenge on my children and see the prophecy fulfilled?" I asked. 

 He sighed. "I knew it would take you all of ten seconds to figure it out. Yes, Lucien and I have formed an alliance. He has a medallion-a saratura-that can trap the Mikaelsons, but not kill them. Basically, they will be locked away for eternity. Mikael, you must face the fact that the world will be better off without your children."

 "I know they've done many horrible things," I admitted, "but I have been a horrid being as well. And you are just as bad to be thinking about vengeance."

 Tristan gazed at me, apparently in awe. "You have certainly changed since the last time I saw you. Why were you looking for me, Mikael?"

 "Because I don't want to lose my children to some evil prophecy. And I don't want you to be the one to see it fulfilled. I remember you, Tristan. You were better than that." 

 He smiled. "And I always thought you could be better than a lunatic hell-bent on murdering his stepson. And here you are now."

 I smiled back and let him pull me into a kiss. Everything around us suddenly seemed brighter.

 "Why don't you come me?" he said. "I am becoming accustomed to the city, and know some places. Let's just spend the day together, you and me, and worry about wars another time."