protect him

i was woken up by the sound of pounding on my door. i dragged myself out of bed and opened the door to find a pissed off pete on the other side.

"you deaf, red?" pete huffed.

"i was asleep." i rubbed my eyes and stretched.

"how the hell did you get any sleep?" he wondered.

"i don't know." i shrugged, still not fully awake.

"look tyler wants to talk to you in the living room, so get your ass ready and get out here." pete explained.

"yeah sure whatever." i yawned as i walked out the room and made my way to the common room.

tyler was in the room with everyone else standing around him. all the attention was turned towards me once i walked in.

i noticed dallons still bruised cheek, i wasn't sure if it was healing, and frankly i was too scared to ask. he didn't look mad or anything. you would think he would want me dead after what happened.

instead, he gave a half smile as i was just standing there waiting for someone to say something.

"josh," tyler exclaimed in a sarcastic tone, "just the man i was lookin' for."

"what's going on?" i wondered, looking at everyone in confusion.

"you're doing on a run into town." tyler announced.

"what does that mean?"

tyler sighed and rolled his eyes, "you're going into town and getting supplies that we need."

"how the hell would i know my way around let alone what to get?" i retorted.

"that's why ryan and patrick are going with you--"

"what?!" the two questioned in unison.

tyler chuckled, "d'ya really think he can find the shit we need on his own?"

"i only do runs with brendon--"

"well now you're doing one with josh and patrick." tyler interrupted ryans objection.

patrick didn't say anything. he just stood there staring down at the ground looking terrified. i didn't know what to do or think. tyler said himself that patrick doesn't handle himself well with weapons. how was he supposed to protect himself?

as ryan was trying to reason with tyler, pete walked in and he motioned for me to step out of the common room. and so i did, i followed him out and he looked very concerned.

"look i know i can be rough on you sometimes, but i need you to do me one favor." he spoke quietly.

i shot him a confused look, "what is it?"

he looked hesitant, but finally managed to say,

"keep patrick s-safe, okay? he- he's only ever been out of this place once and that's when i was there with him. just please do it, you can hate me or anyone else but he's a good guy. it's a shame he got mixed up in this shitty scene that we're in..." pete trailed off.

"so you want me to keep him safe?" i wanted clarification, "why me?"

he sighed, "coz you're new here. the guys seem as some sort of tough brut that doesn't give a shit about anyone. but i do. i care about him. so will you please do it?"

seeing the genuine look in his eyes and the tone in which he spoke, it was hard to say no. pete seemed like the guy to burn people alive and not think twice about it. but he cares. and that's the scary part.

"alright," i nodded, "i'll do it."

a look of relief overtook his face and he cracked a smile, "thanks red."

"no problem blondie." i was cringing at what i said.

"yeah don't call me that." he shook his head as he was walking off. i nodded in agreement.

"hey, josh?" pete turned around from walking, "let's keep this conversation just between us, okay?"

"alright." i assured him.

he half smiled again and walked off to join the others, and i did the same.