the countdown

ryan and patrick finally got ready and we were on our way into town, or what was left of it. ryan knew where the place we were heading to was, and he said it would take us some time to get there.

it's been about 10 minutes since we left the hideout, and i was already feeling anxious. not about the long walk ahead, but about what dallon said.

tyler said not to worry about it, but how could i not worry? he told me i had to kill ryan for his little plan to work. and i was standing right next to the guy i had to kill.

"so uh, josh. sorry about the whole you know, killing your family thing. but like i wasn't involved in that. i just took the shit from your car." he explained in such a causal tone.

"my family isn't my main concern anymore." i said with almost no remorse in my tone. ryan looked surprised but didn't say anything about it, so he changed the topic.

"i can't kill anyone. i could never get myself to do it. tyler was generous enough not to kill me, and he had every reason to." ryan admitted.

"tylers not bad guy, josh. sure he's done some terrible things--" patrick was interrupted by ryan nudging him, "b-but he's not a bad guy. he's rough on all of us, but he has good intent."

there was silence from the three of us. i was trying to comprehend what they were saying. tyler isn't a bad guy, guy he's done bad things?

"what did tyler do that was so bad?" i couldn't help but ask. ryan stopped dead in his tracks, and got paler than a ghost.

"r-ryan?" patricks tone changed dramatically. ryan shushed him and had a concentrated look on his face,

"do you guys hear that?" he wondered in a low voice.
"hear what?" i asked.

we all went quiet and in the distance you can hear a subtle but noticeable sound of an engine roaring. the sound slowly got louder and louder, until it was right around the corner.

a small, white truck with spray-painted designs all over it came rumbling into our view, ryan and patrick dragged me into cover, and as that was happening the truck came to a screeching halt.

from behind the broken, and permanently stationed car we were taking cover from, i heard the sound of doors opening from the truck that was about 20 feet away.

"you guys done thinkin' we're stupid?" an unfamiliar voice yelled. ryan and patrick looked really anxious. seeing their reactions made me slightly worry, who were these guys?

"hey you gonna be big boys and show your us your pretty faces?" another voice yelled. ryan bit his bottom lip nervously and patrick was shaking, he looked like he was about to throw up.

"i'm gonna count to 3, and if you don't come out from behind there, we might just have to take care of you ourselves." the first voice said in casual manner.

patrick put his hands over his mouth to silence his pronounced fear. ryan looked extremely conflicted on what to do.

"1"

patrick was now beginning to tear up, his hand still covering his mouth, but now he was trembling. ryan swallowed loudly, almost choking on his own spit. what was the plan?

"2"

ryan was now breathing heavy and patrick began to cry softly, his glasses fogging and his face now turning red.

"3"