chapter 1

*Hayden*

Chapter One: Goddamn Leroy Sanchez.

"Hey Aunt Kate, did Matty already leave?" I ask, dusting the crumbs of the toast off my floral skirt that finished below my knees.

Matty's my little brother, little by only a year. Aunt Kate has been looking after us since my dad went to prison a year ago, we're not too sure why he went to prison though, it could be because he robbed a bank, it could be because he killed someone; who knows.

We have a mom, when I was nine years old I remember writing her a letter asking her to visit me. Course, she made it pretty clear she wanted nothing to do with her old life, that included me and Matty and dad. But then almost four years ago, she came back to this town. Only to marry the Mayor of our town, I only found out she was my mom after a year of her being here. She's married to the mayor who has two sons, Leroy the older son, his younger brother Carlos. His dad and Matty, my Aunt Kate and my best friends are the only ones who know that she is our mom.

Today is the first day back, I should be excited, it's senior year. The final year of school, the year we've all been dreaming about. But I couldn't be excited knowing what I did during the summer. Something stupid as hell.

"He said he had to pick some stuff up for his art project, so he had to go earlier." Aunt Kate, says whilst letting her hair out of her bun.

I look at her for a second, "Art project?" I say, chewing my lips, with a furrowed eyebrow.

She looks at me, and then at the ground for a long second. "He doesn't do art does he?" She says sighing.

"No... And you do realise, today is the first day of school?" I say with a little laughter in my voice, whilst getting up from my seat.

She was about to say something, but she stop and stared at me. "Oh Hunny ... you are not wearing that on your first day of Senior year." She says shaking her head, and pulling me towards her. "Where are all the clothes I bought you?"

I shrug, "I don't like wearing them! It looks like I'm trying to look pretty, when in fact I'm ugly." I say rolling my eyes and following her up the stairs and into my room. She stops at my wardrobe.

"You're not ugly, but if you wear what you're wearing, then yes you look ugly." She says with a frown.

I look down at my tee, which was from a random band concert me and my best friend Eden went to, with a floral skirt.

My aunt pulls out a baby blue vest stop, and a white flowy above the knees skirt, and a wedged heels and passes them to me. I stare at them, not wanting to put it on, I just stare at them.

"Goddamn, Hayden if you don't wear it, I'll put it on for you! And also do something about your hair, this isn't third grade, take it out of your plat and let it out please.

"I'm going to be late!" I say defensively.

"No you're not, I know Seniors are not meant to be in school until ten, you just want to go so you can read your dictionary in school, without me judging."

"Whatever, don't you have a job interview at nine-thirty?" I say looking at my watch, it had now turned nine on the dot.

"YES, yes I do! Okay I'm going to get going, but I swear if you do not wear that, I will hate you. I'm going to pop by your school later, and if I see you still wearing granny clothes, it won't be good." She says before, running downstairs.

*

I walk slowly to school slowly, trying my best not to remind myself I'm wearing wedged heels and how awkward I must look, wearing actual nice clothes, and actually brushing my hair for once.