Chapter 29

*Hayden*

"You and who is in a relationship?" My dad asks slowly, as he gets up from his seat.

"Me and Leroy?" I reply, looking around awkwardly at what was going on.

My dad doesn't reply, instead he just stares at me with his mouth hanging opening from the shock. Why was he shocked? "I'm going to kill him!" Dad says in a worryingly calm tone.

"What?" I shriek. "You said you knew!" I hiss, slapping the fridge door out of anger. "You said you knew, dad!" I repeat, angrily. What have I done? I pace around the kitchen with heat escaping my ears, my face bright red from the mess I just made.

He didn't know. He didn't know.

"I thought he did something and you were covering for him, as usual!" Dad slaps the table.

I jump. I didn't know what to say. At this point everyone had come downstairs from the yelling, and I didn't know what to say. I didn't know if I should lie, or not say anything at all.

"Why are you yelling at her?" Matty says angrily, as he stands in front of me like he was a human armour.

"Matty not now." My dad says in an angry tone. "Hayden, you've got to be kidding me." He stares at me with his face pale and his eyes white. "DAMMIT." He yells, causing me to jump again.

What did I do?

"Stop yelling at her!" Matty pushes my dad out the way.

"Matty, stop!" Aunt Kate yells, as she drags Matty from my dad.

 "You've gone and fucked up big time, Hayden!" My dad yells again, I could see the anger in his eyes and I didn't know what to say. Tears steam down my face uncontrollably, what was I going to tell Leroy?

Now Alex will find out and everything will be messed up.

"I said stop fucking yelling at her!" Matty screams, punching the kitchen table. I stumble towards Matty and hold his hand. Ever since my dad left, Matty became an older brother for me. He would protect me like my dad should have, but Matty didn't understand it was my dad yelling at me, not a stranger.  

"Matty!" I yell, with my voice trembling. "It's okay." I say softly.

Matty grabs my hands, and drags me past my dad who looks like he had seen a ghost from when Matty swore at him, and Aunt Kate and my grandparents didn't say anything but just stare.

"Sleep." He says with his voice shaking, as he takes me upstairs. He let go of me and waits for me to go into my room, before closing the door and running upstairs to his room.

-

*Leroy*

Impatiently I knock on Hayden's door. It was 10:47AM, I'm not sure If Hayden's awake right now, but I'm hoping she is. I didn't want to call her, because I wanted to surprise her.

The door opens to reveal her dad, her dad's expression changes from when he opens the door to when he realises its me. I take a few steps back, my posture straightening I greet him. "Hello, sir. Is Hayden awake?"

"What do you want with her?" Hayden's dad asks harshly.

I gulp, nervously. "I just wanted to hang out with her." I say trying not to stutter, keeping my head and eyes facing my shoes.

"Look at me when you talk, boy."

I nod my head, clearing my throat as I make eye contact with her dad. I wipe the scared expression off my face and look at him, man to man. But that quickly disappears when her dad stares into my eyes, I lose my strength and drop my head and stare at my shoes.