Chapter 38

(The video is of Leroy Sanchez and Angela Vazquez, because the song is so cute and they remind me of Leroy and Hayden lmao, as it's the last chapter, I thought I should add it xx)

*Hayden*

I linger around the living room, with anticipation running through my veins I try to stop and remain calm. We were back in the mayors house after a very long time, and it just didn't feel right being back here, I didn't miss it at all. Despite living here for a long time, being back just made me feel like I did when I first moved here.

I managed to get changed and freshen up before Leroy decided to come back here so we can talk to Emily and Alex. Dad, Mellissa and Maria joined us too, but Alex wasn't here, he wasn't home. Emily was, but she was having a bath and was aware that we all had come, but she didn't make an effort to hurry up in the bath and come out to greet us.

We had been waiting for almost half an hour in the living room, like guests. But maybe that's all I was now, even Leroy, he sat on the couch like a guest. He went up to his room once and grabbed a bag full of fresh clothes, but I didn't bother, honestly it made me feel sad going up there.

Finally after the wait, Emily walks downstairs in a blue dress, with her damp hair hanging by her shoulders.  She itches her hair slightly, before pushing it away from her face, her faced was bare with no make up, we only saw Emily without make up rarely, despite living with her. "What's going on?" She says harshly, standing by the door.

I feel dad's eyes on me, I didn't know if I should speak now or what. "When's papa going to be back?" Leroy asks.

Emily's expression softens and she smiles slightly looking at Leroy. And with that expression my hearts to ache again slightly, she hasn't spoke to me like that in forever, despite me being her actual daughter. "He texted saying he will be home in ten minutes or so." Emily says softly, keeping her gaze on Leroy and ignoring everyone around him.

Leroy nods with a small smile.

"Can I talk to you?" I say standing up, and gesturing her to walk towards the kitchen. She doesn't say anything at first, but then she nods and follows behind me.

Awkwardly I take a seat on one end of the table, Emily finds herself walking to the other end of the table. Without trying to start an argument, I get off my seat and walk towards her and sit a couple seats away from her. I can't help but notice her eyes roll as I sit closer, but I ignore it.

"I just want to know why you hate me." I say dully, no emotion in my eyes or tone, because I wasn't looking for a relationship because I knew she wasn't either, but I couldn't go without knowing what I did so wrong.

Emily shakes her head, her expression hard she opens her mouth to talk slightly, before closing it again and keeping her eyes glued to the kitchen tiles.

I itch the edge of my jaw. "What did I do for you to hate me?" I say harshly. "I know you don't want a relationship with me, that's fine, but I need to know what I have done wrong." I say sternly, trying to fight back the tears that had bubbled up inside my eyes.

She licks her lips and finally talks when she realises how much this was affecting me. "It's not you." She says ever so quietly, I wasn't sure if I heard correct. "It's me." She says with her voice getting louder. "I hate seeing you, because it reminds me of what I did." Emily bites down onto her lips.

She places a hand on her cheeks. "For heavens sake." She mutters under her breath.

"What do you mean?" I ask. "I thought we were over the whole you leaving us thing? I mean it still hurts and I probably won't get over it with the way we're going right now, but that's personal." I say shaking my head. "But you've already apologised about that and we've moved on from it?" I say with a confused tone.