CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE.

(Narrator's Pov)

It was Christmas day. A day of joy, happiness, excitement and celebration. People all over the world, no matter what according to their faith, celebrated the joyous day. It spreaded positivity, happiness and light into people's homes.

Everywhere you looked, you'd see people smiling. It was a day people gifted one another with presents, an item of gratitude for them, simply for being in their lives. Families, friends, loved ones - it was a day they all gathered and had a good time.

However, for everyone; it wasn't exactly the same. Lea, to be exact. During her childhood years, she wasn't exactly loved by her birth-givers.

Christmas for her, would go something like this. First she'd wake up extra early, but no, she wouldn't dare jump on her parents bed. She wasn't looking for a beating. She had learnt from her past mistakes.

Instead, Mary and her would knock on their parents bedroom door and gently awake them. Both sisters would be told to shower and then be dressed in their special dress by an exact time. Their mother, she would do their hair, not wanting people to frown upon her family.

Appearance meant a lot to them.

As well as respect.

Around eight am, they'd leave the house, a normal breakfast. At church, they'd listen to a sermon, sing a few carols, before leaving. Family; aunties, uncles, cousins - they'd all come over to their house. 

The adults stayed inside the living room, while the children played around. Then would come dinner, they'd eat their large Christmas feast, some full while others stuffed down more. Lastly, would come the part everyone desired for.

Presents.

Under the medium sized Christmas tree, more and more presents were lined up from the family guest. Lea received toys, clothes, shoes, stationary - what any child at her time longed for. She thanked all her gift givers with a kiss and hug. What she could give in return.

All was well, until everyone left. Not long after the guests left, on their way home; her happiness would be crushed. Her presents were taken away.

"But why, mommy?" Her six year old self, the first time it happened.

"Because, first prove you're worthy of these gifts. Do some chores around the house, get amazing grades and you can have them all."

The harsh words her mother had said to her. 

"But why me? Why not, Mary? She gets to keep her presents." 

She argued, tears of unfairness brimming in her eyes.

"Don't compare yourself to your sister. She deserves those gifts. And just for saying that, I'll give her yours as well." 

Her mother had muttered, not thinking twice before rewarding her eldest daughter with more and more gifts. After that, it was a repeat until she turned fourteen. Her family had an argument, which meant no presents for her at all. Not that it'd matter, they would be taken away.

But during the years her gifts were taken away and given to her elder sister, she would be left to watch her play with the toys, dolls, all of the things she so badly wanted to play with, just touch. And fortunately for her, her sister was a innocent, kind-hearted and caring.

'Mommy, said not to let you play with these, but I'll let you play with them. Just don't tell her, or she'll take them away from me.'

She had once written done on a piece of paper.