CHAPTER ONE

"I love you. Oh God.. oh, my God, that just came flying out of my face. I love you. I just...I did it again. I love you. I do. I just, I love you. And I have been trying not to say it. I have been trying so hard to just mash it down and ignore it and not say it... I am so in love with you. You're in me. You're like — it's like you're a disease. It's like I am infected by Mark Sloan and I just can't think about anything or anybody and I can't sleep. I can't breathe. I can't eat. And I love you. I love you all the time. Every minute of every day. I love you."

The words came flying out of Lexie's mouth as if trying to break free. She wasn't aware of what she had said until she said it.

-

Lexie woke up with a jolt, sweating as she remembered her dream. She didn't usually remember her dreams, but she couldn't get this one out of her restless mind. She looked at her alarm clock and realized she would be late for work if she didn't hurry up and get ready. Jumping out of bed, she put on her clothes and ran to the bathroom to brush her teeth and long, brown hair.

[30 MINUTES LATER]

Lexie changed into the required blue scrubs and walked to the counter where she saw Meredith. She was hoping she wouldn't see Mark, avoiding him at all costs. Just in time for pre-rounds, Lexie reports to Mrs. Roman's room and sure enough, there stands Mark Sloan. As Mark views Mrs. Roman's scars from her recent surgery, he sees Lexie.

"Morning, little Grey!" Mark exclaims.
"Good morning, Mar— uh, Doctor Sloan." Lexie says softly, calling herself stupid in her head for calling him Mark.
"I'm just in here for pre-rounds." Lexie says.
Mark re-bandages Mrs. Roman's scar and walks out, Lexie following.