Friend-Zone Bound (Clint Barton x Reader)

Clint tried to contain the stupid smile that made its way across his face as he sputtered a weak 'what'.

"Brandon broke up with me," Y/N whimpered. "He said he-that he didn't feel the spark anymore."

Clint felt a tiny sadness that he felt so happy, a part of him wanted to scream that you could finally be with him now.

"I miss him, Clint." She sobbed. "C-Can you come o-over?"

"Of course, darling." Clint said, grabbing his jacket to leave.

His heart was pounding as he knocked on your door, checking his breath quickly.

The door swung open, revealing not your horrible state. Your hair was messy and tied out of your face, revealing dried and wet tears stains along with a large sweater that belonged to Brandon.

He felt a cold needle poke his heart as he grew slightly mad that Brandon made you like this.

"Hey, don't cry." He said, wrapping his arms around your smaller frame. "I'm here now."

You buried you face in his jacket, holding back sobs.

"I miss him, Clint." She whispered.

Clint closed the door gently as he picked you up and brought you over to the couch where he grabbed ice cream and your favorite foods.

When he came back, he saw you staring at your TV, which was off as tears dried on your face.

He set the food down as he wrapped a blanket around you and kissed your forehead. He was here now, here to be there for you, to be a good friend.

The word Friend brought bitterness to him.

"It's okay, darling." He reassured.

"B-but..." She trailed off, now staring at the ice cream. He could practically hear your heart seams ripping.

"I'm here now." Clint said, pressing another kiss, brushing her stray strands of hair away.

"All the memories of 1 year... Gone." Y/N said, her eyes watering up. Even when you where crying, somehow you managed to pull his heart strings as much as you where walking.

"You'll just make new ones." He said, wiping your tears away. "He's not worth your tears." Clint felt anger crawl into his thoughts as you where crying over that useless jackass when you could do so much better.

Better like him.

"New ones with who?" She asked, whispering.

"You'll find him." He replied, thinking about him and you together. His thoughts filled with every daydream he had, filling his heart with hope.

She just cried into his chest as he whispered reassuring things.

Right now, he was Friend-Zone bound.

But maybe not for long.

Just not right now.