Chapter Nineteen

[Edited] 

Vincent and Carson →

~::~

                      Vincent's POV 

I was shaking, so much not even Brody's reassurance was enough to help. 

Carson was in surgery right now. I don't know exactly what had happened but they briefed us on some things, like how his knee was broken. Not the good kind of broken either. The kind of broken that could put him on the bench for the rest of the lacrosse season. 

We did not know what happened on the field and I wasn't going to ask anyone about it either. I wanted to know from Carson himself, no one else. They could, in fact, be spewing a load of bull shit and I would end up killing the wrong person who put him in a hospital bed. 

God, I should have been there, had his back; something. Anything

I was his best friend for god's sake, I had to be there for him like Hannah was there for Brody. I've been neglecting him too, which was wrong of course, but I was still in my honeymoon phase with Brody, I couldn't really blamed for my actions. 

Carson even got like this with his ex-girlfriend, Melinda. He had even forgotten my existence when she was around, though it bothered me, I now knew what he was feeling like when he was dating her. 

It was really an amazing feeling to have someone to care for, and cherish. 

But with all that came a price, a price that had consequences. Consequences that I was now suffering from. I wanted him to be okay, I wanted him to be able to play lacrosse, but most of all I wanted to see him. 

I'm a horrible person.

That's it, when he gets better I'm going to be spending as much time with him I can. Every waking minute. 

Even while he was stuck in this damn hospital. I don't care. 

I lifted my head from my hands and looked around the dead hospital building. It was quite empty, there was just a few bodies roaming the halls. 

To my right sat Brody, next to him sat Hannah, then came Meagan, and then finally his parents. There were a few others from the team but they had to be leaving soon.

We have all been waiting of news about Carson for the last 2 hours. It was 8pm, and we had yet to hear any news about Carson's condition. 

I just wanted to know if he was alright, then I would talk to him and kill whomever did this to him. No mercy whatsoever, I would kill whoever did this to his knee. 

Lacrosse was our sport, without him by my side I do not know if I'll be as good. He was like my partner, even if this was a team sport, I only counted on him. But now that his knee was busted up, I doubt I could even continue my active role as captain.

I know that was taking it to an extreme, but you just don't know what it's like. Carson was the one who had convinced us to even join the team in the first place and almost instantly we loved the sport. 

I would not have the position I have now if it weren't for him. 

"Are you okay?" Brody asked for the third time since we entered the hospital. I nodded, for the third time, and gave him a reassuring smile. I didn't want him worrying about my well being right now, I wasn't in any harm. I was just worried about my best friend. 

Obviously, he wasn't buying it and he took hold of my hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. This time, I gave him an honest smile. "I'm just worried about him," I said.