Chapter Twenty

[Edited]

Picture of Brody →

~::~

                         Brody's POV

"Brody?" Vincent asked, surprise evident in his voice.

What? Did he not expect me to be here?

I did tell him I would be here early, I told him. He should have remembered. He should have made sure I wasn't outside the door, listening to his conversation but the fact was, I was here and I had heard everything. Every single bit of it, not missing a single word.

I didn't know if I was mad at him for trying to keep this from me or if I was thankful for him trying to keep it from me. I wish I could just unhear all of it.

They were right about one thing, I was going to my blame myself, and I do not know how they expect me not to. I put Carson in the hospital, not physically but just my being in this school and my presence. It was all my fault. 

It was all because of me.

I even had an effect on Vincent too; he could lose a scholarship because of what those guys said but I had already ruined one good person I couldn't do that to another.

"Vincent," I replied. I didn't know what else to say. I was still shocked; I wished I had just stayed in bed this morning and left with Hannah but I wanted to see how Vincent and Carson were doing.

God, I should have just stayed home. It would have hurt less then this.

"Brod--"

"I'm sorry!" I blurted. I don't know why I said it but I honestly felt the need to apologize, even if I knew that it was the last thing they wanted to hear from me.

I wish I could just be mad with Vincent for trying to keep this to himself but I couldn't bring myself to do that. After all, he was only looking after me, making sure I didn't get hurt. I wanted to kiss him, knowing he was trying to do that.

But it still would have been easier then just standing here, all awkwardly. If I were to be mad him I could storm away from them and never look back but that wasn't the case. I wasn't mad. Sad, maybe, but mad was not what I was feeling.

"You have nothing to be sorry for," it was Carson who spoke this time. He was wrong, I had so much to be sorry for. So much.

He was in a hospital bed for crying out loud, I could have potentially ruin his lacrosse career, and his leg.

Oh god, his leg.

"I'm sorry," I said again. I didn't want to say those words again but they kind of just left my mouth. "I'm so, so sorry."

"Stop apologizing, this was not your fault! It was all on those damn newbie's. Now, if you don't excuse me I have some noses to break, some guts to spill, and some cries of pain to hear," Vincent proclaimed.

If I was not so conflicted with every thing else that was going on I would have slapped him for saying such disgusting things. They almost had me gagging.

The point here was, I couldn't let him go do what he was going to do to those boys, no matter what they had said or done. They may have deserved it but Vince had a scholarship to think about here, not about what some stupid teenage boys said.

The boy, as Carson had said, was probably kicked off the team, so he got what he deserved. And the other kids, it was just some harmless gossip they were spewing, even if it did hurt a little, it meant nothing.