Chapter 1 [Proofread & Edited]

My name was Yoona. Yoona Kim. I had been working as a surgeon in Seoul for 5 years and had successfully reached my goal as the director of the Surgery Department. I had been so happy!

On one of my busy Fridays, I had managed to save a child's life, operating in a chest surgery. As of now, I was sitting on my chair, in my office, with stacks of failed exam papers in front of me.

Yesterday had been very tiring. Four patients in a night and an exam to supervise straight after. I sighed.

While I was skimming through my students' exam papers to find marks that would help any of them pass, I heard a light knock on my door. Waltzing in was my boyfriend Hyun Park. I smiled as he walked over to me with two cups of coffee.

"Hey, Yoon," he smiled as he passed me a cup. "Rough night?"

I nodded, sipping my coffee which had gotten warm. "Yeah. So many patients lately. And my students haven't been improving."

Hyun nodded, sipping his coffee as well. We stayed in comfortable silence. Hyun and I had been dating for over a year. Our anniversary had been three weeks ago and he had took me on a date in a beautiful amusement park.

I sighed again, taking another sip. Setting my coffee aside, I stood up and snuggled my head against his chest, tugging onto his waistcoat.

"Yoon? What's wrong?" he asked, wrapping his arms around me as he did.

I closed my eyes. "Nothing. Just really tired."

Abruptly, one of my students rushed into the room. "Director," she panted, gasping to catch her breath. "You've -- got another -- patient --"

I held back a small groan, pulling away from Hyun. This was going to be a very long day.

.-.-.

Bursting into my own office, I slumped on my sofa in exhaustion. It was now two minutes past nine in the morning and I was drained, having been forced to pull an all-nighter that night -- not able to catch even a wink of sleep. I heard my phone ring on my desk, and picked up the call.

"Hello?"

"Yoona? Can you come to the C&R building now?"

I felt the corners of my mouth quirk up slightly into a small smile, surprised. "Mum, at least say hi. I can, though. Why?"

"The chairman wants to see you."

I frowned. "The chairman of the C&R company," I said, my words leaving my lips slowly, "wants to see... me."

Chairman Han had hired my dad to work on a fashion project together that had soared in the market. Co-worked is a better word for it, though. They had formed a bond together over mini-golf in the past few years after their project was successfully received by the high class. My dad proudly called their relationship long lost brothers.

"Why would Dad's boss want anything to do with me?"

"No time to explain. We're having a meeting with the Chairman in fifteen minutes. Please hurry."

I paused for a moment. But Mum was a tad impatient.

"Please, Yoona. This could very much change your life."

I bit my lip, holding back a retort at how fine my life already was. "Okay."

I hung up after mumbling goodbye. Shrugging on my coat, I grabbed my car keys.

Why would the chairman want to see me? I wondered.

Driving as quick as the speed limit had allowed, I parked my car promptly in the parking lot and walked into the building. There was a security guard standing by the elevator.