Chapter 23

Doctors and nurses were rushing everywhere. Beeping and the sounds of the CPR machines were flying in the air. Jumin stayed there, eyes slightly red from tiredness.

V called out to him as he sat next to his childhood friend.

"She'll be alright, Jumin," reassured V. "Yoona's not the type to give just like that."

Jumin sighed and cradled his head in his arms.

"Did you send the documents to the police?" Jumin asked.

V nodded. "Don't worry about that. They'll get them. We need to be here to protect Yoona in case anything else happens to her."

Jumin nodded weakly and leaned back towards the wall.

"You're right," said Jumin.

However, Yoona wasn't in good condition. Lying in one of the emergency wards, Yoona had gotten paler and had irregular breathing.

The doctors said she was brain dead and had a low chance of living considering the fact that whoever shot her had hit a fatal area.

Even when the surgery was successful, Yoona laid in bed while the deathly silence accompanied her in her ward.

The doctors said that she was not to have any visitors for the week because of her fatal injury so Jumin could not and would not stay still.

He was only allowed to stay outside her room and watch from there which was painful for him. Jumin sighed as he left through the automatic double-doors.

V followed him quietly from behind as Jumin went to the hospital garden for a small walk.

It was half past eleven at night, the stars were out and the crickets were singing somewhere in the grass.

V followed his childhood friend down to the benches and sat beside him, staying silent as he did so. That was until Jumin spoke.

"Hey, Jihyun.." he called out. "She is gonna be alright, right? Yoona, that is."

V didn't make a sound.

"She's not going to leave me again, right?"

V looked at his friend. "Of course not," he blurted. "What makes you think such a thing?"

Jumin shrugged weakly. "I don't know," he said. "I guess I'm just a bit tired."

V looked back down towards the ground. "You have a trip to Busan, don't you? A meeting with one of the companies."

Jumin breathed in and out slowly. "Yeah," he replied.

V was worried. "Why don't you cancel it and rest?"

Jumin shakes his head. "No, Jihyun.. I can't cancel a meeting just because I'm tired. Father will be furious."

Jumin got up and fixed his tie. "I will sleep tonight, don't worry. I'm not going to get hurt or anything so you rest yourself."

V only watched as his best friend walked back to his black car and away into the busy streets.

...

They are almost there.

She should not give up on this.

Since he wouldn't too.

...

It was another busy day at C&R International. Jaehee was rushing all over the place searching for her boss and almost screamed in frustration when she found him.

"Mr Han!" she called out, almost in an angry manner. "Where on earth have you been?"

Jumin looked up from his work and stared at her.

"What's so important that it couldn't wait for you to at least knock?" he asked.

Jahee could feel her eyebrows twitch in annoyance. As always, Jumin was insensitive and blunt but Jaehee couldn't care less and shoved the papers she was holding to his chest.

"Schedules for meetings this morning and after," she said. "I hope you're ready for the one in twelve minutes, Mr Han?"

"Right," he sighed. "Let's go now."

"--sisters have been captured for attempted murder on Ms Yoona Kim --"

The TV spoke and Jumin halted in his steps, spinning himself around towards the screen.

"Mr Han..." said Jaehee, eyes widened and lips smiling. "They've been caught!"

Jumin's pocket suddenly vibrated and he picked up the call. It was V.

"It's Yoona," said V grimly. "She isn't looking good."