The End of the World

Sloan was in her room upset about the fact that Rose was on board the TARDIS now. It wasn't that she didn't like the woman. It was the fact that when it was just The Doctor and her, she could be herself. She could talk freely and laugh. She didn't feel comfortable speaking around others. The TARDIS could sense how Sloan was feeling.

"Right then, Rose Tyler, you tell me. Where do you want to go? Backwards or forwards in time. It's your choice. What's it going to be?" The Doctor asked Rose. It was her first adventure, and though his mind was on Sloan, she got to choose.

"Forwards." Rose decided finally.

"How far?"

"One hundred years." She decided again after a little bit of thinking. The Doctor pulled on the proper controls and landed after a few seconds of travel.

"There you go. Step outside those doors, it's the twenty-second century."

"You're kidding." Rose didn't believe it one bit. That or now she was playing around.

"That's a bit boring, though. Do you want to go further? Sloan and have been further to the past than a hundred years."

"Fine by me." Rose agreed, with narrowed eyes. The Doctor got to work messing with the controls again.

"Ten thousand years in the future. Step outside, it's the year 12005, the new Roman Empire." The Doctor told her.

"You think you're so impressive." Rose teased.

"I am so impressive." He said offended.

"You wish."

"Right then, you asked for it. I know exactly where to go." The Doctor went to more controls and fiddled with them. "Hold on!" Rose did as he asked just as Sloan came into view. She wasn't jostled about unlike Rose and the Doctor. After a bit, they landed.

"Where are we? What's out there?" Rose received no reply. Sloan moved to the doors and found they were in some sort of gallery. Rose and the Doctor follow a few paces behind her. The Doctor saw Sloan staring out of a shuttle wall that began to open after the Doctor used the sonic.

It was a gorgeous view. She tensed slightly when the Doctor stood by her, she was still upset with him. She had no right to be, he could invite anyone he wanted. It was just she hadn't thought it would be a girl who was older by about a year and prettier than she was. What that does to a girls self-esteem. She liked Rose she did, it was also that the Doctor was the first and only person she had spoken to.

She hadn't even spoken a word to Amy. Not one word. She felt extremely vulnerable speaking like it forced her to open walls she didn't know were in place. The Doctor had noticed her tense when he got there and was curious.

"Are you okay Sloan?"

"Am I okay? Sure." She told him the truth but not all of the truth. He nodded then turned to Rose.

"You lot, you spend all your time thinking about dying, like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take time to imagine the impossible, that maybe you survive. This is the year five point five slash apple slash twenty-six. Five billion years in your future and this is the day..." He looks at the watch on his wrist. "Hold on." Sloan and Rose see the sun flares and turns red. It was as beautiful as it was horrifying.

"This is the day the Sun expands. Welcome to the end of the world."

Sloan sighed to herself, of course, he would bring them here for Rose's first trip. He was still hurting and that was something Sloan could understand. Not understand completely as she didn't experience what he had. Still, it was going to be hard.