Chapter 21: Missed Call

The plane ride seemed to take an eternity. She did all she could think of to pass the time besides staring out the window watching the world pass by beneath her. When the plane finally landed she hurried off as quick as she could, careful not to knock anyone over on her way to baggage claim.

The cab ride home felt just as long as the trip back from Philadelphia and had Dinah speculating that she could probably get home faster by running. "Could you step on it?" She urged the cab driver. "I'm trying to get home before dark." The clock read 9:53 AM.

Dinah made it home just after eleven and unpacked which just meant she started a load of laundry and threw the rest into an empty laundry basket before picking up the phone. She dialed Lauren but there was no answer. After the third attempt she tried Ally. Twice. She answered the second time, her voice rough from sleep.

"Ally? It's the middle of the afternoon, you're just waking up?"

Ally grunted. "No hello or how are you?"

"Sounds like you had a long night," Dinah smiled into the phone. "Hey, listen, I'm trying to get ahold of Lauren but I'm not having any luck."

"Oh," Ally sat up and pressed her free hand against her head. "Oooh," she moaned.

"Are you okay?"

With a sigh, Ally nodded. "She didn't tell you?" There was a short pause. "Oh, never mind. Sorry, I forgot you two haven't talked." Then there was silence followed by a long yawn.

"Ally..."

"Sorry, Dinah. I worked an extra shift at the hospital last night." She yawned again. "Anyways, are you back in town? Let's get lunch."

Dinah rubbed her neck. What about Lauren? "Yeah, lunch sounds good. Pick the place and text me the details. I'll meet you there." Maybe she could get some answers from Ally.

*****

Pushing the textbook aside, I reached for my venti shaken berry herbal tea and took a sip. My phone buzzed as I set my drink down. It was a text from Ally that read:

I'm having lunch with Dinah.

I spit my tea out and all over the textbook and notes I'd just taken. Running into the kitchen, I grabbed a rag to try and soak up some of the tea. She was having lunch with Dinah? I managed to save my notes. Luckily the textbook had glossy pages and didn't suffer too much damage. I tossed the rag to the floor and text her back.

What do you mean you're having lunch with Dinah?

Like, we're sitting here staring at each other and we're eating this stuff. I don't what it is this guy just set it in front of us, was her response.

I rolled my eyes. She's back?

I think so. I mean I'm looking at her. Unless I've gone crazy...

Oh, well I don't know why you're telling me. It's not like I care. I set my phone face down on the table and got back to work.

It was the first week of summer semester and because this semester was shorter than the others I didn't want to put off studying until it was too late. Having only signed up for a couple of classes in art history, my course load wasn't too intense. My mind wandered as I read, losing focus I slammed the book shut and grabbed my phone again.

Dinah. I scrolled through our previous text messages. The last conversation we had was about her leaving. She tried to explain to me how she wasn't doing this to hurt me but to focus on her work, her career, her future. But I was hurt. Was I not a part of that future? She told me she needed to have a clear head while she worked and I only seemed to distract her. In a good way she'd said but a distraction either way.

I'd missed a few phone calls from her earlier when I was studying but I also had no interest in talking to her. Not after what had happened. Not after she left. She was probably trying to squeeze Ally for information about me and what I've been up to. I just hoped Ally kept her mouth shut. Dinah had no business knowing the ins and outs of my life.

She'd really like to talk to you. It was Ally again.

"I'd really like for her to leave me alone," I muttered. Not interested.

I think you should hear her out.

I think not.