BEST SONGS

The first proper chapter. I've decided to start with a simple list; for anyone who doesn't know the band well, these are probably the best songs to get you stuck into their music, as it's a list of what I believe are their most successful and well known songs. For anyone who does know them well, see if you agree.

******** TOP TEN SONGS ********

10. Since I've Been Loving You - Led Zeppelin III (1969). Beautiful and intricate guitar work, raw and passionate vocals, and stunning accompaniment, forming a perfect mix. 

9. The Ocean - Houses Of The Holy (1973). A song that always manages to cheer me up. Incredible riff, technically brilliant from the way they nail the tricky time signature and a Zeppelin classic.

8. When The Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin IV (1971). The darkest and most intense Zeppelin ever got. Seven minutes of heavy rock and blues, which never gets boring for a second. The harmonica only makes it better - seriously.

7. Dazed And Confused - Led Zeppelin (1969). Amazing baseline, amazing guitar (violin bow??), amazing vocals. Dark, entrancing and changes direction more times than you can keep track of. Early Zeppelin at its best.

6. Rock n Roll - Led Zeppelin IV (1971). Stays true to its rock n roll influences but definitely with Zeppelin's signature sound. Uplifting, with a great rhythm you can't help but tap your foot to at absolute least.

5. Black Dog - Led Zeppelin IV (1971). Sleazy lyrics and a killer riff, what more could you want? Epic solo? Amazing drumming? Yeah, it's got all that too.

4. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin III (1969). Everyone recognises that scream at the beginning, Zeppelin fan or not. Massive, epic and powerful. The vikings are a welcome addition. 

3. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin II (1969). Not exactly deep or meaningful lyrics, but it has one hell of a groove, one of the most catchy riffs in music history and vocals that are a bluesy work of art. One of their most recognisable and most played songs.

2. Kashmir - Physical Graffiti (1975). An absolute masterpiece, there's no doubt about it. Menacing, layered and mysterious, with beautiful lyrics and an accompaniment that's nothing less than genius.

1. Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin IV (1971). I know it's cliche, but Stairway had to be first, no question. It's considered by so many people as the greatest song of all time (even if it isn't, then it's definitely in the running for the title) and is certainly Zeppelin's most well known track. Even if you don't like it much, you can't deny that. Although it's not my absolute favourite of theirs, I personally love it; more on that later. 

Picture: Led Zeppelin performing on stage. Left to right, John Paul Jones, Robert Plant, John Bonham, Jimmy Page.