BEFORE LED ZEPPELIN: JOHN BONHAM

Born
31 May 1948, in Redditch, Worcestershire, England

Family
- his parents were Joan and Jack Bonham
- he had two siblings, called Mick and Deborah

School
- Bonham attended Lodge Farm Secondary Modern School. His headmaster wrote in his report that "He will either end up a dustman or a millionaire." Well he was right, we all know how that turned out.

Drumming
- He began learning to play the drums aged five, making a kit of containers, pots and coffee tins from the kitchen and imitating his idols Max Roach, Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich, rock n roll drummers whose careers dated back to the 1930s
- His mother gave him a snare drum when he was 10.
- He received his first drum kit from his father at 15, a Premier Percussion set.
- Bonham never took formal drum lessons, though as a teen he had advice from other Redditch drummers.
- Between 1962 and 1963, whilst he was still at school, Bonham joined the Blue Star Trio, and Gerry Levene & the Avengers.

Career
- After leaving school in 1964, he worked for his father as an apprentice carpenter between drumming for local bands.
- In 1964, Bonham joined his first semi-professional band, Terry Webb and the Spiders, and met his future wife Pat Phillips around the same time.
- He played in other Birmingham bands such as The Nicky James Movement and The Senators, who made a single, "She's a Mod," in 1964.
- Bonham then took up drumming full-time. Two years later, he joined A Way of Life, but the band folded.
- Needing a regular income, he joined a blues group called Crawling King Snakes, whose lead singer at the time was Robert Plant.
- In 1967, A Way of Life asked Bonham to return to the group, and he agreed, while keeping in touch with Plant.
- Plant then formed the Band of Joy and chose Bonham as the drummer. The band recorded demos but no album.
- In 1968, American singer Tim Rose toured Britain and asked Band of Joy to open his concerts.
- When Rose returned months later, Bonham was invited by the singer to drum for Rose's band, which gave him a regular income, one of the reasons he was reluctant to accept Jimmy Page's request to join Led Zeppelin.

*

Picture: John Bonham drumming