FANFICTION

Alright, ordinarily I love fanfiction. But there are exceptions. I know this seems really harsh, but I always cringe when I read fanfictions about Led Zeppelin.

To be fair it isn't just fanfictions about them. Generally, fanfiction about real people always makes me feel slightly uncomfortable. This is a real shame, because some of them are really good and if they were about fictional characters then I'd love them, but when it's real people... Ehh I don't know. I just can't stop imagining what the people they were about would be thinking if they read them. I don't know about you, but I'd definitely be creeped out if someone I'd never met was writing about me. I mean, you might be flattered, but I'd find it more than a little odd... Especially if they got your personality completely wrong, made you do things you'd never do, or put you into all these weird situations, as fanfictions often do. 

(Also, wouldn't you find it at least slightly unnerving if a stranger was writing you into sex scenes with a character that's a blatant self-insert?)

I mean, let's be honest, no one here actually knows Led Zeppelin. Like, on a personal level (correct me if I'm wrong). You might've been a stalker and watched every video, interview and live performance there is, you might have read everything about them you can get your hands on, you might have even met them once, but as a fan, you don't know them personally, not really. Therefore, you can never get their character exactly right. With a fictional character in fanfiction there's always some leeway to make them fit in with your image, but when the character is real then you can't do that; they are who they are, and that's a fact.

Now I'm not discouraging people from writing fanfictions, sorry if it sounds like I am. I know most people do really like them, and I understand that; like I said, lots of them are really good and well written. But I can't get over the thought of someone's horrified expression as they read this horrendous story written about them by someone they've never met and don't know. 

To be honest it's probably just me that thinks this. Anyway, that's why I can't read any Led Zeppelin fanfictions. Anyone else feel the same way, or am I just a downer?

Picture: Led Zeppelin live