IT MIGHT GET LOUD

This chapter is more about Jimmy Page than Led Zeppelin but I'm sure no one minds...

I wanted to talk about a film called It Might Get Loud. I've watched it a couple of times and it's so interesting that I'm recommending it here. It was made a while ago, 2008 I think, and it's kind of a documentary..? That makes it sound dry, I don't really know how to describe it, basically Jimmy Page, Jack White and The Edge meet up and talk about music, guitars, the music industry, bands, how things have changed etc. Around the clips of them talking together there's sections explaining how each of them got into music and what that felt like, and how they produced some of their most famous songs. And then they go back to where they're all sat together and teach each other how to play each other's songs. That's my favourite bit.

It's described as: Rock icons -- Jimmy Page, the Edge and Jack White -- from three different generations come together to discuss the electric guitar and their musical influences. The men swap stories and crank up their instruments on an empty soundstage for a jam session. Along the way, they visit the majestic hall where "Stairway to Heaven" was composed, Jack White composes a song on-camera at a Tennessee farmhouse, and the Edge lays down tracks for a U2 single.

I really think it's worth a watch if you love music and are interested in these artists. You learn so much about them, their music and what the world was like when each of them were growing up. I watched the full film on YouTube and I think it's still there, it isn't too long either (1.5 hours), but if you can't find it then there's loads of clips of them playing together which you should definitely check out if you can't find the whole thing.

If you're more interested in just the Led Zeppelin side of it than anything else then it's got plenty in it about how and where they recorded their songs, and just how Jimmy Page became Jimmy Page really. You get to see a different side of him than in interviews at times and it's a great insight into a lot of things about him (there's one moment where the others are singing and he awkwardly says he doesn't). It isn't just a dry documentary with loads of facts, at times it gets really personal.

Anyway, watch it! It'll be worth it trust me.

*

Picture: The Edge, Jack White and Jimmy Page sitting together (look at all those guitars!!)