Chapter Five: Bittersweet Memories

Okay, so Damian isn't human. It can't be that bad, right? He has to be good, I mean Daphinie and Malcom and the invisible man were obviously bad. Wait, wait, back up Ivy, how the hell did mom know they weren't human? I'm going to walk down there and- My thinking is interupted by someone slamming the front door.

I stomp downstairs, one to ask my mom how she knew, two to see who just broke my concentration on my thoughts. Thalia is furiously taking off her boots, she's clearly fuming, at what? I have no clue. Mom walks into the living room and looks at Thalia, then her gaze falls on me. She looks worried and pained. But I am in no mood to sympathize. 

"That son of a-" 

"Mom, how do you-"

Thalia and I both start at the same time. We stop though and I gesture for Thalia to continue. 

"I went to the Evans house-" Thalia starts.

"How do you know where they live?" I interupt. Although she ignores me.

"And they were all talking about Mr. Invisible, Caine was sitting on him so I walked over and punched the bi-" Thalia continues.

"Language!" Mom says interupting.

"Well I punched him, and then he got all mad at me so I punched him again. Then he said something how they were stronger now and how Ivy would be no match for them." Thalia finishes. 

"Mom, how do you know that the Evans aren't human? And what the heck are you talking about Thalia?" I ask. 

"You told her mom? How could you?" Thalia gasps.

"No, I didn't tell her." Mom says comforting Thalia.

"Told me what?" I ask.

"Mom how much does she know?" Thalia asks.

"Just that they aren't human." Mom replies.

"How much do I know of what?" I ask.

"She doesn't know about... Mr. Invisible's kind yet, does she?" Thalia asks.

"As far as I know, no." Mom replies.

"HELLO! I'M RIGHT HERE! ANSWER MY QUESTIONS!" I shriek at them. Finally they look at me. 

"Oh, Ivy, you know we want to." Mom says.

"Ivy we can't." Thalia says.

"ENOUGH!" I scream.

Thalia and mom stand there and look at me in shock.

"Ivy-" Thalia starts reaching out.

"NO! No more lying, no more avoiding my questions! I want answers!" I yell, smacking Thalia's hand away. Thalia stares at me and holds her hand, the one I just hit. 

"Look Ivy, we aren't aloud to-" Mom starts.

"SHUT UP! All I want is for you to answer my questions! You know what, I've got to go." I say. I pull on some shoes. 

"Ivy, wait!" Thalia calls.

"No. I'm not going to take it anymore. I figure you've been lying to me all my life!" I scream back to them. With that I run out the door and down the street. 

***

I run to the nature trails parking lot. I decide that here is the best place to be. I'm happy to find a pair of ear buds already in my phone so I listen to some tunes as I walk onto the trail. Some people pass me, for late night walking their dogs or runs, but I ignore them. I finally find the spot I'd go in as a kid with dad. I crawl into the strange stick like fort and stand there for a while.