Her Cousin

The past few days, Kyle noticed the change in his cousin's behavior. She was less focused, she hummed randomly, and one time, she even ran into a wall. The young boy was worried for her health. So, Kyle sat (Name) down and demanded to know where she went off to every day.

"I just go outside a lot, Kyle. Calm down."

"No way, (Name). You've been really out of it lately, and I wanna know what's going on."

(Name) pouted at her cousin and crossed her arms. "Why should you be worried about me? Don't you have a kingdom to run?"

"Oh, do not be that way about this." Kyle frowned at her.

"I can be any way about this that I want! When that... Dumb oaf attacked me, you didn't help me. You didn't even ask if I was okay! You didn't do anything but yell at me for being there and kick me out!" Her eyes glared daggers into his as she waited for whatever excuse he would come up with to explain him behavior.

Kyle sighed in defeat and crossed his arms. "Fine. You're right. I didn't help you. But, didn't you say you could protect yourself? That event obviously showed that you can't!"

(Name) stood up and turned away from her cousin. "Well, maybe if you didn't coddle me so much, I would've had some experience with people like him. You have no idea how scared I was." She turned her head toward Kyle, allowing the young Elf King to see the tear streaming down her cheek. "All you did was kick me out... What a king."

After her speech, (Name) went upstairs to retrieve her backpack. Kyle watched with a heavy and guilty heart as she went to the front door. He was completely ashamed of himself. Everything his cousin had said was true. 

"Where are you going?"

"Out."

"...Will you be back soon?"

(Name) turned her head to her cousin and nodded. "Soon." She opened the door and quickly added, "Tell Aunt Shelia I'm going out," before closing the door.

Just then, someone knocked on the front door. Kyle slowly got up and answered it. Stan was standing there in his game outfit. 'Hey, dude. I saw your... Cousin?"

"Cousin."

"Cousin. Yeah, and her eyes were kinda red, like she was crying. What happened?"

Kyle shook his head. "We had a fight. But, she won, so she won't be too bitter about it... Eventually. Come in, dude."

Stan came into the house and followed Kyle out into the backyard. Even though Kyle was out of costume, the elves in the kingdom still bowed to him as he past them. The Elf King stood in front of his throne and addressed his people.

"Elves, hear me! I need a spy. Someone who is willing to spend countless hours following my cousin, (Name), on whatever tasks she may do every day when she leaves my house." King Kyle glanced around at the elves, hoping that one of them would step forward and accept the offer. Stan gently nudged him to get his attention.

"Perhaps, my King," he whispered, "you could sweeten the deal."

"By..?"

"Well, and I mean no disrespect, but, (Name) is a very pretty girl. Maybe tell them that she is... Available for courtship."

Kyle turned toward his second-hand man, slightly tempted by the idea. He needed someone to watch over and protect (Name). He didn't want to risk making her even angrier with him, however, if she found out. 

He quickly turned back to the kingdom and declared, "I'm sure that you all know what my cousin looks like. If not, the Ranger Stan will send a carrier pigeon with her portrait to all of you." He nodded to Stan, who took out his phone and sent a picture of (Name) that Kyle had sent him through the Elf Kingdom's group text.

All of the elves that had no prior knowledge of Kyle's cousin gasped softly in awe at the photo. The other elves that had seen her before simply glanced at it for a reference. King Kyle continued with his speech. "Now, I require someone with stealth and speed. Is there anyone willing to take up this offer?"

One hand went up among the crowd. Kyle and Stan both watched, cautiously and eagerly, as a scrawny-looking elf stepped forward. He bowed to his King and softly spoke. "My King, I will gladly take the challenge." Some laughs were heard from the other elves. 

Kyle raised his hand, silencing them all. He stared deep into the dark brown eyes of the elf before him. "Are you prepared to spend hours on end, hidden in the most uncomfortable of places, and staying on the job no matter what, all to watch a girl go about her daily activities?"

The scrawny elf raised an eyebrow and nodded somewhat quickly, tilting his head a bit. "Yeah."

"Then, go forth, young elf, and begin your quest. My cousin has already gone outside, so you must find her."

"She headed down the street a while ago." Stan interjected. The elf nodded in gratitude and quickly stood and turned to leave. The Ranger turned to his King and raised an eyebrow. "Well?"

Kyle sighed. 'I'm going to regret this,' he thought to himself. "Just a moment!" He called, getting the elf' attention. "If you should want to... court my cousin, you have my blessing."

"R-really?" The elf questioned in surprise. His eyes shone with slight excitement at the prospect of dating such a beautiful girl as (Name). He nodded and bowed to King Kyle. "Thank you, my King!" With that, he ran off to find the fair cousin of the King.

"What have I done?" Kyle asked himself aloud, shaking his head. He stood up and retired to his tent as Stan dismissed the kingdom to go about their business. 

Author's Note: I think I made Kyle too evil. I just meant to make him stubbornly protective. I might come back and edit this chapter. Anyway, I worked on this chapter for 2 days, so I hope it shows. 

Thank you to everyone who has "starred" or "voted" on this story, everyone who has followed me, and added this story to their reading lists and such, and thank you to all new readers. You guys are all awesome!