Memory I

A faint noise pulled me from the depths of sleep and I gave a small groan. "Quiet, Relly." I buried further into my covers. Sorrel was always so noisy coming back from sneaking out. I knew she was practising and she was able to come in and out without our parents hearing her but she always woke me up. The noise grew a bit louder and I huffed. "Relly, keep it down or you are going to wake up mum and dad." When a loud scream shattered the still air I jolted upwards, my eyes searching out the window where Sorrel would be. There was nothing there.

I rubbed at my eyes and pushed the covers off to one side when there was another scream that had my heart jolting in my chest. I ran to the window and glows of fire illuminated the night. Houses encased in orange flames that danced quickly, snapping towards the dark of the night sky in its hunger to consume. I opened the window with shaking hands and the screams grew louder. The roar of flames was accompanied by growls and snarls as it created a chaotic symphony in the air. I could see wolves fighting on the grass, the dark red grass.

The scene made a burst of air escape my chest as my wolf whined in terror. Ash, blood, and heat seared my nose and I reeled back from the window, stumbling over my feet and landing on my butt. My heart pounded in my chest as I scrambled backwards, turning onto my hands and knees before frantically getting to my feet.

"Muma!" I shoved against my bedroom door, the latch buckling under the force before I bolted down the hall. I needed my parents. I needed to find Sorrel. I couldn't do anything. I needed to get out. "Dad!" I tripped on the way down the stairs. I held out my arms, giving a small cry as I braced to hit the floor. Arms caught me around the waist with an oof and I gave another cry, pushing against the person holding me, fear making me panic.

"Maggie! Calm. Calm." My father's voice was a hushed whisper and I gasped, throwing my arms around him, trembling in fearful relief. My wolf hunkered down further into my mind, attempting to block out the screams that we were hearing. So scared, just like me.

"W-what is going on?" I couldn't hide the fearful tremble of my voice. I could smell blood and ash on him and he shook his head. He pressed his finger to his lips and pulled me towards the back door. "Daddy?" My voice was a shaky and breathless whisper. Fear coursed through my veins so thickly it was almost paralysing. I felt like I couldn't move as my father pulled my unresponsive body towards the door.

"Where is Sorrel?" There was an edge of anger to his voice and I shook as I held him tightly around the waist. I didn't want to leave his side. He was safe. I needed safe.

"She snuck out." Normally I wouldn't say. I always kept Sorrel's secrets but I knew that telling him was the best thing. She could be in trouble, she could be hurt. If I told him then he would be able to help find her.

"Thank the moon for that, Magdalene." The relief was thick in his voice as we stopped by the door. He crouched down to my height, his aqua eyes, just like mine, glistened as he grasped my arms. "Listen carefully, my little maggie bird." He cupped my face with one of his hands, his jaw tensing and relaxing repeatedly.

"When I open this door, I am going to run and draw them out." He swallowed thickly as sound of breaking glass came from the front of the house. I could smell smoke and gasoline, it was pungent and sour in the air. There was a whoosh and my wolf gave a pitiful sound at the fire that was now consuming our small home. My father looked over his shoulder as the gas fuelled flames peeked out into the hallway. He turned back to me, his expression frantic. "You are going to wait five seconds and then you need to run the other way. Okay?" He stared at me, his eyes darkening as his own wolf pushed forward. I shook my head.

"I don-I don't- No. I can't- I can't do that. I- I n-need to stay-" My words were stammered with terror. My heart pounding in my chest as the flames licked at the wallpaper in the hallway. Its ever consuming need to feed driving it forward. Consume and destroy. Burn it all and leave nothing behind.