Chapter 28

A week later

I pulled up to the front of the house, wincing at the sound my truck made as I shut it off. I knew I was going to need to take it into a shop and actually look at it. The only reason I hadn't was because I knew if I did then I wouldn't want to drive it until it was completely fixed and I honestly didn't have the money to drop on fixing up an old truck that was probably best suited for a junk heap somewhere.

I shut the truck off and shoved open the door, the hinges protesting the action. There was no one outside and I gave a small frown, usually someone met me outside with Madeline or waited outside for me to tell me if she was in therapy or not. The fact there was no one was rather worrisome. I walked towards the house, knocking on the door quickly. I was afraid something had happened to Madeline with how quiet it was.

The door opened and Madeline peeked around the bottom of it as Linnette pulled the door open. Relief soared through me at her smile as she looked up at me. "Daddy!" Her voice was a small squeak as Linnette made a soft shushing sound. "Shhhhhhh." Maddy put her finger to her lips as she looked at me. Linnette pulled the door open further, waving me in silently.

I reached out and ruffled Madeline's hair as I stepped inside. I was rarely allowed inside the main house and I slowly looked around. The interior was kept dim and Linnette looked into the living room before glancing at me. "Sorrel has been sleeping downstairs. She was in here napping a few minutes ago so I'm not sure where she went." She looked a little perplexed and Maddy grasped my leg, looking up at me. I gave her a small smile, trying to give her a bit of reassurance.

I knew she was worried about Sorrel, I was worried about Sorrel. Every time I saw her she looked worse than the time before. She grew more and more gaunt and pale. I hated how much she reminded me of Maggie when Malak had finally taken her out of the pits. She wasn't supposed to look like that, wasn't supposed to appear that sickly or defeated. Sorrel was a strong female, an Alpha. I hated seeing her like that, like she could barely move or think.

A soft creaking drew our attention and Sorrel moved out of the kitchen, or what I assumed was the kitchen, I hadn't been allowed to wander around the house. She looked... worse than she had two days ago. Her skin was sallow and she was not healthy. She looked straight out sick and it made my chest constrict because we didn't get sick. Shifters were strong and we had even stronger immune systems but she looked sick.

"Daddy gunna take me to play." Madeline's gaze was on Sorrel and she slowly let me go, taking a step towards her aunt. "You come too?" Maddy looked at Sorrel, her expression hopeful and Sorrel slowly shook her head.

"Not this time, Madeline." She gave the little girl a soft smile that looked out of place on her pale and drawn face. I was worried for her. Extremely worried for her. She had been getting worse over the past few weeks but this was beyond that. She looked like she hadn't even been eating or sleeping at all. I knew had been steadily growing worse but this was not good, even Linnette looked shocked at her appearance.

"Are you... are you doing okay?" I never asked pointed questions like that but I was worried. Despite how there was no feelings between us, a fact she made perfectly clear, I never wanted her to be hurt or ill. Her condition was enough to worry anyone, if they knew her or not. I had only seen mundanes look that sick on tv and they usually had a terminal illness. We didn't get terminal illnesses so her condition was enough to make my chest feel like it was constricting to the point I couldn't breathe.

She looked at me almost confused before she nodded. "I'm okay." Her frowned deepened slightly before she brushed her hand under her nose, her already pale face paling to a near bone white. My heart lurched as a stream of bright red blood fell from her nose, rolling over her lips. Her hand shook and she looked at it in what looked to be dread before she looked up at me. I took a step towards her as her eyes rolled backwards, her legs buckled and she hit the floor. Madeline gave a small screech along with Linnette crying out and I was barely aware I had moved until I had hit the floor beside her, rolling her onto her back and lifting her up slightly.