Chapter 18

I pulled into a motel parking lot and parked the old truck in front of it. The building looked about as run down as my truck and I sighed heavily, pressing my forehead against the steering wheel. I was exhausted and emotionally drained. Lara had told me to drive east until the sun started to set. Surprisingly as the sun started down the horizon a sign for the motel had appeared. I hadn't questioned it and had taken the exit.

My life had suddenly spiralled out of control. I had Madeline taken from me, I had been banished from my pack, my home was gone, and my life as I knew it was simply over. I lifted my head up and leaned against the cracked leather seat. No matter how long I sat there I knew that it wouldn't fix my situation. I needed to keep pushing forward but I felt so lost. I had been focused on Madeline since she had come into my life, she had been my only purpose for years that without her I felt unsure of what to do.

I inhaled deeply and grabbed the duffel bag, pushing the door open. I hesitated for a brief moment before stepping outside and heading towards the main office. The door's paint was chipping and the blinds were yellowed and drooping. I pushed open the door slowly, a dusty bell hanging above the door, announcing my entrance.

A grey haired mundane with a stained tank top grunted at me as he shook out his newspaper and set it down on the desk in front of him. "Thirty-five a night or a hundred for the week. We ain't got wifi and gettin' a room with air conditionin' will cost ya another twenty dollars." He scowled at me before clearing his throat with a phlegmy sound that made me want to curl my lip up. My wolf sneezed against the smoky, moldy, and dusty scent of the room.

"I don't need air conditioning." The days weren't too warm and I could deal with what ever stuffy warmth there was. I was running low on funds. "Do they have showers?" I shifted the duffel bag in my hand and headed towards the desk. An over-flowing ash tray sat on the desk next to an old rotary phone.

The male sneered slightly, showing off his yellowed and crooked teeth before he pulled out a cigarette. "A workin' one will cost ya an extra ten dollars." He put the cigarette between his lips and gave a small grunt. "Whatcha thinkin' ya want?" He lit the smoke, taking a huge drag, blowing the acrid smoke out. I wrinkled my nose and pulled my only fifty from my pocket and tossed it onto the counter. I didn't want to spent the extra ten dollars but I needed a shower.

"I'll take a room with a shower." At the words he took the fifty and pulled out a beat up looking cash box and tossed out five dollars in change. I picked it up, shoving it into my pocket.

He jerked his head towards a large board with dangling keys. "Alright. Take key number sixteen." He looked me up and down. "I hope ya ain't lookin' to cause me trouble now. Big fucker ya are." He took another drag from his cigarette and blew the smoke in my direction. My wolf gave a low growl that I fought against rumbling my own chest. Mundanes did not need to become concerned with my presence.

I shook my head as I walked towards the board, snagging the right key from the full board. "No trouble." I glanced at the mundane male and he gave a sharp nod.

"Good. Keep it that way." He leaned back in his chair as he picked up his newspaper once more. I left the office, more than glad to get away from the acrid smelling smoke. Both my wolf and I did not appreciate it with our sensitive noses. I looked at the run down building, noting the numbers on the bottom floor stopping at ten. I glanced at the rickety staircase that lead to the second floor. It didn't look like it would hold my weight but I didn't have much of an option with mundanes around.

I slowly started up the stairs, wincing at the creaky groans it let out as I moved up it. I didn't like the look of the walkway balcony anymore than the stairs but I once again moved across it slowly. I shifted the duffel bag in my grip as I finally stopped in front of room sixteen. My wolf and I did not like the rather rickety feeling of the walkway. I attempted to unlock the door to my room but the lock stuck.