Memory XI

I giggled as I dashed behind the tree in my escape from Arlo. We were playing. The leaves had nearly finished falling and Arlo had taken me outside to play. He had raked all the leaves into piles and we were having fun with them. I couldn't remember the last time I had played outside like we were. I couldn't remember the last time I felt as carefree. I giggled again as Arlo gave a friendly growl and came around the tree. I smiled at him brightly before I dashed towards another pile of leaves. I quickly scooped them into my arms and threw them at his face.

The laughter of the pack around me made my smile grow wider. I could see that many more of them had joined Arlo and I in our play. Children were rolling in the leaves and jumping on their parents as they played. It was the happiest I had seen the pack since I had had been brought to the territory. I dodged Arlo and chased after a toddler who got into range. I scooped his squirming body up in my arms and kissed his cheek before setting him down.

I was suddenly picked up by a laughing Arlo and spun around. "I got you, fiend!" He tickled my sides and I giggled, trying to escape the tickling. He let me go and I spun around and held my hands out. "What are you going to do, Maggie?" He tapped my nose with a finger and I playfully snapped at it.

I reached out and smacked his arm. "Delta Arlo is it!" I turned and bolted away from him and I laughed as I could hear the children squealing their excitement as they ran with me. We scattered as we heard pursuit and I hid behind another tree. I peeked around, my eyes finding Arlo quickly before they danced across the others and landing on Lara. I smiled at her brightly, waving at her. Her wrinkled face softened as her silver eyes flashed in my direction.

I had a little hand thump against my leg. I looked down in surprise and a toothy grin was thrown at me. "Maggie is it!" I grinned and dashed from my hiding place and towards the group of children. They squealed happily and scattered as I came closer. I laughed happily as I managed to reach out and tag one of the parents. The large male looked down at me in surprise before one of his children screeched.

"Daddy's it!" The large male grinned and took off after who I believed to be his mate as I ran the other way. I was once again caught and spun around. I laughed loudly and grabbed Arlo's arms as I wiggled to be put down.

"Maggie looks like she needs a leaf bath." He gave a rumbling, playful growl as he flopped us both down into a rather large pile of leaves. I waved my arms as I gave a small shriek of surprise before I started laughing again. My stomach hurt from laughing so hard and my heart pounded in my chest from the running but I was having fun. I hadn't had fun in a long time. Arlo laughed loudly and then coughed as he let me go. I sat up, blowing leaves from my face as I did so. I scrambled to my feet and then reached down to help Arlo to his.

He grinned up at me and took my offer of assistance and I helped pull him to his feet. I let his hand go as I brushed off my clothes. My grin had yet to fade as I turned to see who was it. The children screeched happily as one of the females chased them around. I turned around to grab Arlo's hand when he threw up his arm, deflecting a heavy blow that came in on a snarling growl. I tripped as I retreated, my eyes wide as I hit the ground hard.

Malak threw another punch and I scrambled to my feet, my heart in my throat. "What the hell are you doing?" Nexus' voice boomed into the air and Malak snarled at him as he aimed another blow at Arlo that sidestepped it rather efficiently. Nexus got in between them, letting Malak's next hit bounce off his shoulder before he shoved him back.

"He was throwing her around!" Malak snapped his teeth at Arlo and Arlo shook his head as did I. I reached for Malak but Nexus threw me a deadly glare that had me falling still.

"They were playing. Maggie was in no harm." Nexus puffed his chest up, barring Malak even a look at Arlo.

"In her condition she shouldn't be doing that." Malak pointed at me aggressively and I could no longer hear anyone laughing or playing. I glanced around and all eyes were turned towards us.