Chapter 16

At the whispered name the shadows of the room seemed to grow denser. My wolf snarled, a feeling of unease deep within him as we watched as they pooled into the corner Sorrel was staring at.

She looked just like Maggie but I couldn't explain it but when I looked at her I knew I wasn't looking at Maggie. There was something there, something that let me know just which twin it was I was looking at and it wasn't the hate she had shown me. My chest clenched at that, having those words coming from a face that looked like Maggie's was damn near heartbreaking.

"Hold your ground, Arlo." Lara's words were sharp and I wanted to ask what she meant when a tall male slid from the shadows. I bared my teeth, shifting my feet at the sudden intrusion. I couldn't help the low rattling growl that escaped me as I looked at him.

"Sorrel." His voice was a low rumble and he stepped away from the corner, his dark eyes scanning the room. They landed on me and he let out a hiss that I responded to with a growl, even as the hair on the back of my neck stood up. "You." His expression was deadly and he took a step towards me that had Lara shifting to stand between us.

"Enough." Her voice was firm and unbending. I kept my gaze on the male. He was something to be very wary of. I didn't know how I knew that but I did. Something deep down told me that one did not take him lightly. I inhaled, trying to scent him. I stiffened further when I realized he was something I had never scented before.

"I have no quarrel with you." His words came out on a cultured and rumbled accent. I couldn't place it and I bristled further as his dark eyes narrowed further at me.

"You have no quarrel with him either." Lara shifted in a slight agitation that had a feeling of uneasiness go through me. She looked uncomfortable speaking to the male and if such a powerful healer was uncomfortable then I knew my own feelings were justified.

The male took a step forwards, his eyes still on me, never leaving. "I will see to that." There was a strange hissing rumble that escaped him and my wolf gave a heavy growl at it. He was confusing. We didn't know what he was and we didn't particularly like him around Maddy. Our eyes darted to her and she was still whimpering, her eyes watery as she reached for me. My heart felt like it was being squeezed at the expression on her face.

"Cai." Sorrel's voice seemed almost forlorn and there was a bit of distraction to him as he turned his head. Not enough to break his gaze on me but enough to show her he was paying attention.

"Mi cielito, why have you not taken your vengeance." There was a low rattle to his words and I stared at her. She looked... lost. The bond she had vehemently denied twisted and rolled under my skin and I wanted to do something to help but I knew such an action would not be received well. I winced at the thought.

"Because there is none to take. The male who killed Maggie is dead." Such blunt words. I hadn't wanted too but I flinched. Not because Malak was dead but because it was clear she wished to take his life herself. I did not blame her. A bond between twins was a special thing and Malak had broken it. "There was never any for me." It was an almost cracked whisper and her eyes, identical to Madeline's were just as glassy as the little girl who struggled in her arms.

"Wha-" His sentence fell off completely as he finally took his gaze off me to land on her. He seemed startled at the sight of her holding Maddy before he slowly moved forward. "My heart... a child?"

"Maggie had a baby." Sorrel sniffled slightly as she looked up at the male who towered over her. She spared him no hard or hateful looks and I felt a heavy twisting of jealousy in me. The bond twisted my stomach, heating it heavily with the feeling.

"I can see." His words were low as he reached out for Maddy, grasping one of her hands. My wolf and I wanted to protest. "Hello little one." He seemed genuine in his approach towards her but that need to protest, to fight, to protect Madeline was still intently there. I had raised her from a newborn and I had to watch her grow. It wasn't fair. I was all she knew as a parent and to take her away did nothing to help her.