Chapter 10

Several days later

I looked around the office, heading towards my desk before Cai grabbed my arms with a tsking sound. "No, kiska. We have done everything. No more." His voice was stern and I made a sound in the back of my throat. I needed to make sure I wasn't leaving a mess for Linnette. I was leaving the pack for the weekend and I wanted to make sure everything was done. I needed to make sure Linnette and everyone would be okay. I made a small whimper, unable to help myself before Cai wrapped his arms around me and held me to his chest before he nuzzled my cheek. "No more. We need to go. The coven will be waking up soon and I want to surprise them." I knew that but I was feeling a bit frantic at leaving the pack. I hadn't left the territory in months and certainly not for a weekend trip.

"I just need to-"

"You promised, Sorrel." He made another tsking sound. "I need to know your word is good." He tightened his grip on me slightly and I sighed heavily.

"I haven't left them alone for a full weekend before." I hadn't left them for any substantial length of time before. It was making me antsy just at the thought of leaving them, let alone actually doing it. Not to mention the hunt and the pack competition were right after my vacation. There was still much I had to do.

"The pack will be fine. Your bodacious Beta will take care of it." He slowly let me go and I grimaced at his words.

"Please stop calling Linnette those things." The words were becoming a reflex now. After Linnette told me why she acted the way she did I honestly wanted to keep her from feeling the things she was. I hadn't realized just how badly her past had affected her. It made my heart hurt to think about her suffering silently underneath that heavy burden. For some reason she believed her past made her less. I knew it probably had a lot to do with the pack and its outlook on certain things but it didn't stop the flare of anger it brought.

"Always telling me that, yobo, never giving me a reason." He heaved out a heavy but teasing sigh. I turned, throwing him a look that showed my displeasure. However, what Linnette had told me was in confidence and I wouldn't break that.

"Just stop." I didn't want Cai to make her feel like she was dirty or that she was less than a person. I looked around once more and he made a rumbling hiss in his chest before he grabbed my wrist.

"No more looking around." He waved his finger near my face, his eyes spelling out his warning to me. My wolf and I didn't particularly like it but I knew I was simply delaying the inevitable. We didn't want to leave the pack, we wanted to stay where we could be easily reached, we wanted to make sure everyone and everything was okay.

"I just-" He silenced me with a finger wave as if I were an irrational child and I scowled at it, resisting the urge to snap at the digit.

"We need to get your Beta so you can run her through her tasks before we go." He emphasised her title and I made a face before searching my mindlink paths.

Linnette, I need to give you a rundown of what to do while I am gone. Do you mind coming to the office? She had been out training more females when I had last checked in on her. It was good, the females needed the training and to see Linnette as I saw her, a huge ally in a rather uncertain world. The females needed to go through adjustments with their new found freedom and there was no one I trusted more with that than Linnette.

I'll be right there. Her response was quick and I let out a small sigh. Everything was planned but I was still feeling antsy and unwilling to leave.

"Bogárkám, your anxiety is adorable but unneeded." At that I did click my teeth together, which prompted Cai to chuckle at me. "It's alright to be anxious about leaving your pack. You have helped build it up, you wish to be close. It is how Alphas are." He grasped my hand, kissing my fingers softly, giving me that smile again. "However, you are to come home for a time. The pack will be fine without you." He pressed my hand to his cheek and grinned at me. I kissed my teeth but couldn't stop the smile from spreading across my face.