Prologue

Screams filled the air as the blonde girl's body jolted from the pain burning through her body. It was worse than anything that she had ever experienced. She only hoped it would end soon, or that it would kill her before she had to go through with it any further. She had been in pain all day, and apparently it had culminated in the middle of the night. The blinding pain ripped through each limb, claiming her body as its own as it pulled its distinct darkness into her left shoulder blade. Gritting her teeth together, another scream burst from her throat, echoing against the walls of the large estate and causing a man to awake from his slumber.

He sat up quickly, and his eyes darted around the room finding his wife had awakened beside of him. Examining her for any signs of distress, he found her in perfect condition, other than the standard lack of sleep the doctor seemed to always carry. Worry etched itself onto his features as the thought finished in his mind. The screams could only be coming from one other room in the house.

Bolting out of the bed, he raced down the hallway to his daughter's room in hopes that he had just imagined the sound, the images of what could be happening to her forcing themselves into his anxious mind. Bursting through the door, he found her sobbing in her bed, pain wracking through her body causing it to shake with tremors. Another scream pushed through her lips as he moved to her side to take a closer look at the girl, his wife taking a place by his side.

Her body was hot to touch, like she had a fever that couldn't be quelled, but their thermometers were all reading that she was at standard body temperature. The concept baffled the two doctors as they pondered what the possible affliction could be.

The man raked a hand through his dark hair as he examined her shaking form. He had just moved to smooth the crease from between his daughter's eyes when a faint glow caught his attention. He pointed it out to his wife, who promptly reached to pull the sleeve of her night shirt down.

A black inky symbol was glowing on her shoulder depicting a tribal drawing of two wolves howling. The two doctors could feel the heat radiating from the symbol which they determined to be the source of her ailments. The faint glow increased in the moments they observed it, now shining a bright orange in the darkness.

The woman reached to touch the symbol, but was stopped in her quest as the screaming girl's body burst into flames causing her to step back in shock as she watched the fire swallow her daughter. The duo could not fathom how this was happening to their seemingly normal daughter. Just that morning she had been perfectly fine, and now her body was consuming itself in flames without so much as singeing the sheets of her bed.

"Darling, I believe we might have to call in help for this one," the man said, his worried eyes finding his wife's.

She nodded her head, acknowledging what they were going to be subjecting their family to, "Call Ellie, Dear. She'll know what to do."