Chapter 2

London was as cold as rainy as Forks, Washington. Luckily for Ellie, she didn't have to force her way through the murky rain to get to the O'Connell estate. She merely had to close her eyes and envision her twin in order to find her way there. Unfortunately, she also knew that Brenton and Fiera O'Connell were still uncomfortable with some of her methods of movement, but if she didn't get to Evie in time, the flames that were layering her body could potentially overspill onto their lovely home. So, seeing teleportation as the fastest method of transportation, she forced her eyes shut and allowed her mind to be consumed by thoughts of the blonde haired woman known as her twin.

Evie was lying unconscious in her bed when Ellie arrived. She was still trembling and enveloped with flames, but the new emissary was no longer screaming which Ellie was sure the parents of the girl were thankful for.

"How long has she been like this?" Ellie asked the parents of her sister, who were watching the twin of their daughter warily.

"I woke up to her screams," Brenton said, his brown eyes shifting to his daughter. "I'm not sure how long she had been screaming before then, but since then, is estimate an hour."

"Ah. Well, she's doing better than I did," said Ellie, a frown adorning her red lips. She gestured to the girl with her hand before asking, "Do you mind if I...?"

"By all means," Brenton said, moving over for her to get closer to his daughter. "Please, help her."

Ellie nodded and moved closer to her sister, kneeling at her side. Before trying anything drastic, Ellie thought it best to attempt communicating with Evie. Reaching her mind link out, she pushed a question into her sister's mind.

'Evie? Evie, can you hear me?'

Silence filled Ellie's mind for a moment before Evie's melodic timbre flowed through the link.

'Ellie?'

A smile flitted across Ellie's face, knowing that her sister wasn't completely down for the count. She was confused, but competent.

'Evie, I need you to listen to me, okay?'

Ellie waited a moment before hearing the low tones of Evie's thoughts.

'What's happening to me, Ellie? It hurts so much.'

A frown crossed Ellie's lips before she replied, 'It's going to hurt for a couple of days, Eve. Your body has shifted allegiances. You've become like me, an emissary.'

'I don't want this. Not after what happened with David. I don't want anything to do with the supernatural.'

Ellie thought Evie's tone sounded shaky. Of course she didn't want this. None of them did.

'I don't blame you for that, Evie. It's a hard life. It's scary, but you're tied to these people now. You're tied to the supernatural, now. We don't get an out, Eve. This is our place in life. Now, I'm here to help you. You need to pay close attention to my instructions, okay?'

Ellie thought a moment before she heard Evie reply with a soft, 'Okay.'

'I need you to stop the fire, Evie.'

'I don't know how to do that. I'm scared, Ellie.'

Ellie knew. She had been there herself twice. It was a terrifying affair. She knew more than anything, though, that Evie would need her now more than ever. So she was going to do her best for her.

'I know. I know. Okay. Um...I'm just going to wing this one, Dove. I need you to focus. Now, imagine the flames pulling back into your body. Let them centralize back to where you can feel they came from.'

Ellie waited for a moment before she saw the flames start to recede back into her sister's body, the majority pulling to her hands. It was a couple of minutes before the flames had completely disappeared, and Ellie was determined to check her out to make sure she was fine. The marking rarely injured its victims, but it did happen occasionally.

'Good job, Evie. You did it. I'm going to check you for injuries now, okay?'

Ellie waited for her sister's voice to resonate an 'okay' in her mind before she continued with her examination. She stood and reached a hand toward the blonde before concentrating on lifting the girl from her bed. When the girl was floating four feet in the air, Ellie twirled her fingers in a circle, and Evie began to turn slowly midair. Ellie could see where the mark was supposed to be. Bringing her other hand up, she gingerly tugged the sleeve down to see the inky black symbol that her sister now bore. The howling wolves were familiar to the blonde as she had been sifting through the Cullen's historical files. She knew exactly where her sister was now destined to be: the werewolf tribe that resided in La Push, Washington.

She looked to the couple beside of her before deciding that it would be best to wait to tell them that Evie was being called back into a life she never wanted, into a life on another continent. Unfortunately, her sister's father was quick to catch the look and was giving them.

"What is it?" he asked immediately, fearing the worst for his daughter. "What's happening to her?"

"The family gene kicked in," she said and pointed to the mark on Evie back. "Have you seen the mark on her shoulder?"

"We saw it earlier," he said, his eyes flickering between his daughter and her twin. "The family gene?"

"The emissary gene," Ellie said, gently guiding Evie back to her bed with her hand. "I had really hoped that when it hit me that I was an anomaly, and that she would never have to experience this life, but that wasn't the case. She's now full in, and it can't be avoided. Trust me. I've tried."

Brenton exchanged a glance with Fiera, who merely nodded at the information they were receiving. They didn't want this life for their daughter either, but they would stand by her, no matter what. They had chosen to do so from the moment they had met her, and they admired the fact that Ellie, a girl they had only met a little more than a year ago, was so adamant on helping their daughter.

"What do we do now?" Fiera asked, grasping her husband's arm. "How can we help?"

"Just be there for her," Ellie said, keeping her eyes locked on her sister. "She'll need you now more than ever."