Chapter 11

Ellie stood in the bright, blue room, taking in her surroundings one last time. She worried that he wouldn't forgive her, but she had to do this. It was the only time that they would offer and if she didn't go now, she would never know if she could be more.

Mike was waiting patiently at his desk, eyeing her with curiosity. He saw her twitching with words unspoken. The way she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth had him holding his breath. Whatever she had to say was eating at her, and he worried that he wouldn't be happy with the outcome.

It was a moment more before Ellie could gather the smallest amount of courage. Unfortunately, her mouth was working faster than her mind, "I'm leaving."

Mike furrowed his brows. She was leaving? Where in the world would she be going right now? He paused to gather his words before stuttering out, "W-what?"

Ellie sighed. She had told herself how hard this was going to be, but she hadn't realized just how hard it would actually be. "I have to leave for a while."

"But not forever?" he questioned, his heart sinking in his chest.

"Not forever. Just a few months to my knowledge," she answered as best as she could. He deserved as close to the truth as she could get without endangering him. "I've been accepted into a special program up north. It's elite in all forms, and it's something I never imagined I would get to do. I have to go."

Mike slowly digested her words. The reality of them hitting him hard. His best friend was leaving him, but it was for a her future. He couldn't hold her back from that, not after everything that she had been through lately. She deserved the chance to just forget for a little while. Taking a deep breath, he nodded and crossed the room to wrap her in his arms. "Congratulations, El. I'm happy for you."

She gripped tightly onto him, holding him as close as she could. Mike would never know how much he meant to her, but in that moment, she could hold him. They could allow themselves to feel the comfort they needed just from being in each other's arms. "I'll be back soon, Mikey. I promise."

She only hoped that her words would ring true.

Bella and her father had been Ellie's second destination. She had never expected them to mean so much to her, but the duo had somehow managed to weasel themselves into her heart, and she would miss them.

Knocking thrice, Ellie prepared herself for whatever waited on the other side. She wasn't sure how Bella would react to more people leaving her life, but she had to do this. She had to go, and Bella would have to learn to survive on her own.

When Charlie opened the door, he wasn't surprised to see Ellie. She had been there nearly every day, trying to coax his daughter into life. He was surprised to see that look on her face though. It was a look that told him more than he could ever hear. She was going to deliver bad news. "Ellie."

She looked into his brown eyes and sighed. It was now or never. "I came to say goodbye."

"You're leaving too?" he asked, sadness filling his own eyes.

"I've been accepted into a special school," she said, rolling her lips between her teeth. "They only select so many people a year to attend, and they picked me. I didn't want to leave without saying goodbye."

Charlie rubbed his hand over his face. He couldn't begrudge her for something regarding her education could be? Well, he could, but it wouldn't do him any good. At least she was giving him a heads up. He just didn't know if Bella could handle any more change. "Is it a good school?"

"The best," Ellie said, her eyes watering.

He nodded before placing a hand on her shoulder. He sighed, knowing his next words were going to hurt her. "I can't let you see her."