Chapter 1

"Happy Birthday!" Ellie DuPree said, thrusting a poorly wrapped present into Bella Swan's hands.

Ellie knew how much it was torturing Bella to hear the words, but she couldn't help herself. Birthdays were meant to be celebrated, and Ellie was going to make sure that Bella celebrated hers to the fullest extent. After all, it could be her last. Living in the supernatural world was dangerous. One never knew when it would be their last.

"Ellie," Bella sighed, exasperated at her blonde friend's antics. "I told you no presents."

"I don't care what you told me," she grinned, her eyes crinkling at the sides. "It's your birthday whether you like it or not. You should just accept it and make the most of it. You only get so many."

"Yes, well, hopefully it will be my last," the brunette said, moving to walk forward, but being stopped by their friends who, unlike Ellie, carefully avoided the topic of her birthday, choosing to talk about the Romeo and Juliet assignment that was due instead.

Ellie was laughing at one of Mike's lame pickup lines when she felt two arms wrap around her waist from behind and cold lips place a kiss behind her ear. Turning her head, she placed a kiss on Jasper's lips, a smile forming on her face as they pulled away.

"Hello, Handsome," she said, placing a kiss on his cheek.

"Hello to you," he smirked. He loved how much she had opened up to him since February. He would do absolutely anything for her. "You disappeared on me this morning."

"You know me," she grinned, flipping herself around and wrapping her arms around his neck. "I had to make sure Bella got her fair amount of birthday torture from me before Alice scared her away with the you-know-what."

"You helped plan that," he pointed out.

"Of course I did," she said, stepping away from him only to grab his hand and direct him toward the building Bella and Edward were now standing in front of. "No one loves a good party as much as me."

Alice was jumping over the walkway railing to greet Bella and her brother when Ellie and Jasper reached them. "Happy Birthday, Bella! Would you like your present now or later?"

She gracefully handed the brunette a nicely wrapped box which Bella promptly shoved back into her dainty hands.

"I said no presents," she frowned. Why couldn't they just listen to her? She obviously did not want any presents. She didn't even want this birthday. She just wanted to be like them—with the exception of Ellie — immortal and free to spend all of eternity with Edward.

"Later, then," Alice said, gently gripping the present. "I'll have it ready for you after school— before you come over to celebrate."

"We are not celebrating this birthday that I clearly do not want," Bella said, clenching her fists. "No parties."

"Oh come on, Bella," Ellie said, rolling her eyes at her friend.

"Don't be a spoilsport," Alice added, seeing where the emissary was going. "It's just one teensy, little party. We don't get to do this often."

"You got to do this for Ellie in June," she said, pursing her lips. "That should be enough."

"Don't take the fun away from me," Alice said, jutting out her bottom lip.

Ellie saw the brunette girl's face contorting in thought before the words of consent slipped from her lips, "Alright. Just this once because this is going to be the last. One year older is enough."

Alice squealed before throwing her arms around the girl in a gentle hug, "Thank you! You're going to love it."

She then flitted away leaving the two couples behind.