Chapter 10

Three weeks had passed, and Ellie was spending less and less time with her twin, and as much as she had hoped that Bella would get better, she was still in a zombie-like state. So, she held to her two constants in life: school and Mike Newton. While school was still boring, Mike was a life saver when it came to keeping Ellie occupied, and to her happiness, he had kept his thoughts clean since the first time she had shown up in her new attire. At least their friendship would be safe.

School was going rather slow today giving Ellie too much time to think. So when lunch came around, Ellie was more than ready to spend some time doing anything but classwork. Plopping down next to her best friend, she offered him a wide smile, "Am I glad to see you!"

Mike grinned and lifted a brow, "Bad day?"

"You have no idea," Ellie said, forking some lettuce into her mouth. "I'm bored out of my mind."

"And Evie's not here to distract you today," Mike said knowingly. "Where'd she go anyway?"

"No idea," Ellie shrugged, thinking of the real reason her twin had skipped. "She was gone before I woke up this morning."

"Oh," he said, looking at the gray dish he had picked over a salad. "She doesn't have a secret boyfriend does she?"

Ellie shook her head no, a sad smile resting on her lips, "No, I think it's fate that neither of us sisters have a significant other. It's for the best really."

Mike pushed the food on his lunch tray around, casting a glance at his blonde friend, "You know, I'm really glad you're handling this better than Arizona is. I mean, I hate Hale for doing what he did to you, but at least you're functional. Bella just shut down."

Ellie lifted her eyes from the salad that she was poking, trying to hide the hurt that she knew Mike would be able to see. "I'm going to fix that."

Mike sat his fork down and stared hard at the blonde, "That's not your mess to clean up, El. You don't have to fix Bella."

Ellie shook her head. Of course it was her place to fix it. She was part of her coven whether the others were there or not. By leaving the both of them there, they had left her to clean up their mess. Releasing a sigh, she shrugged, "I'm starting to think Bella might always be my responsibility."

"Not if I have any say about it," he said, his eyes narrowed.

Ellie eyed her friend. He was slowly becoming more protective over her, and she wasn't quite sure of his reasons. His mind was silent in regards to whatever was going on as if he was actively trying to avoid the thought of his change in attitude. She knew he would have to talk about it eventually though. "You don't have to worry about me, Mike. It's fine. She needs someone to help her out. I needed help like that once. So I'm the best option."

"Ellie..."

"No," Ellie said, the shrill bell sounding above them. Ellie stood and hurried to the disposal and exit. "It's my duty."

"What's that supposed to mean?" he asked, rushing after her. With everything going on in his life at the moment, maybe that was a sign that she was like him.

Ellie lifted an eyebrow, but dismissed his thought for now. She would figure it out later. "Nothing, Mike," she said, a small shiver passing through her as she stepped out into the cold.

Mike sighed, but let it go. She would tell him when she was ready. He saw her shiver and rolled his eyes. She should really dress warmer for this type of climate. He shrugged his blue and yellow letterman jacket off before shoving it into her arms. "If you're going to continue dressing like that, El, I suggest you at least bring a jacket."

"Thanks, Mike," she whispered, accepting his jacket and slipping it on. He was right. While her new choice in wardrobe was fabulous, it was not warm. She'd have to start at least wearing a coat.

"So video games at yours tonight?" Mike asked, raking a hand through his hair.

Ellie looked up at her friend and smiled. He knew her too well. She opened her mouth to tell him yes, but was interrupted.

I don't think that will be on your agenda tonight, Sweetheart.

The voice was in her mind and distinctly masculine, and it was not one she was familiar with.

Of course you haven't met me yet, but I'm about to take up all of your time. Come outside. We have plenty to discuss.

Evie was wary of whoever was in her mind, but if something were to happen, she would much rather perish than the innocents in the school.

Don't worry, Eleanor. I don't bite.

Right. The last person who had said that to her definitely bit.

Hurry, Eleanor. Anastasia won't be pleased if she's left waiting.

Anastasia? Turning to Mike, she said, "I don't think tonight will work for me." She glanced to the door they had just entered. "I'll see you in a bit."

"Aren't you going to class, El?" he asked, his eyes wide. Ellie didn't normally skip.

"No," she said, walking toward the door. "There's something I have to take care of."

"Right," he murmured as she walked outside. Ellie DuPree had too many secrets, and Mike wasn't sure he liked it.

Reaching the parking lot, Ellie found a tall, Latin man leaning against a car. He was the only person outside that she had seen, and she didn't recognize him, so she assumed he was the one who had been speaking to her.

"What lead you to that conclusion, Sweetcheeks?" he asked, his eyebrow raised. A smirk rested on his lips as he allowed his gaze to take in her whole form. "And old Anastasia said you were impeccable. There's nothing really special about you, is there? You just seem like an ordinary girl. She's going to be so disappointed."

Ellie's eyes narrowed, her anger flaring within her. Gritting her teeth together, she asked, "And who are you to say she'll be disappointed?"

"I'm Garrison Reynolds, Doll. Don't forget it," he said, a proud smirk formed on his lips.

Ellie scrunched her nose in disgust. His names were becoming as annoying as Edward found hers. "Your jaw's crooked," she commented, trying to lower his ego.

He rolled his eyes before saying, "Okay, Captain Obvious. Here's the deal. You've been selected to further your supernatural knowledge at our revered academy."

Ellie nodded but waited for him to continue.

"You are to be on location in Ontario no later than nine tomorrow morning. Don't be late," he continued, kicking his boot against the ground before looking up to meet her eyes. "I'm sure I don't have to tell you where it is. You should know considering your trial was held there."

Ellie pursed her lips, but kept her thoughts to herself. Her trial was no one's business, but she was positive it was common knowledge within the emissary community. "Thanks for letting me know."

Garrison nodded his head before winking at her and stalking off to the back of the parking lot where a tiny girl with features strikingly similar to his was waiting. They linked arms and trailed off into the wooded area around them.

Ellie watched them until they disappeared before looking back at the school where her friends were waiting. With a small frown on her red lips, she muttered, "Well, that's one way to keep me distracted."