Chapter 13

The dormitory was spacious. There were six beds lining both sides of the wall, the metallic gleam of the frames bright against Ellie's eyes, and six different colored uniforms were lying on each bed. There were no private spaces as far as Ellie could see aside from the toilets in the back of the room. The shower space was even open.

"Geez," a pale girl with light brown hair murmured, glancing around at the six showers just past the station of beds. "They didn't think we'd want any privacy did they?"

"Get used to it," the small Latina girl from the day before said, walking to the bed with the white uniform on it. "We're going to be here for a while."

"I have no complaints," the muscular boy smirked, looking at the uniforms with interest.

"How do we know which bed is ours?" Felicity asked, looking at the beds with uncertainty. Besides the multicolored uniforms, there were no differences between each bunk.

"It's based on your sector," a red head in the back of the group announced, stepping toward the pink uniform. "White is for werewolves, black for vampires, sea green for mermaids, pink for fairies and pixies, blue for witches and warlocks, and orange if you have a mixed group of supers. It looks like there's one from each group here."

"What gave that away?" the Latina scoffed, proceeding with putting her white uniform on as everyone else filed to their bed.

"Oh!" Felicity said, as she stepped toward the bright blue uniform. "I almost forgot! Everyone, this is Ellie."

"She can't introduce herself?" the Latina asked, rolling her eyes.

"I just thought I'd be nice, Victoire," Felicity frowned, not liking the girl's attitude. "You don't have to be so rude."

"She's not helpless," Victoire scowled, roughly zipping up her white jacket, "and she's not special."

"I never said I was special," Ellie said, crossing her arms over her chest. "Or helpless. I'm not either of those things."

"Oh, you're special all right," the boy of the group said, walking over to Ellie while pulling his sea green shirt on. "You're the Eleanor DuPree. Do you know how often your name is brought up around here?"

Ellie's cheeks reddened as she directed her eyes to the floor, "I try not to think about that."

"I'm Zeke Morrow," he grinned, offering a hand to her.

She looked at his hand for a moment before deciding she should just get it over with. Shaking his hand, her eyes clouded over with the visions of his past.

A small, sandy haired boy cried as he fell on the ground skinning his knee. His mother wrapped him in her arms, coddling him and kissing away his tears.

The boy, now older, cringed at the rubble that was once his middle school. He didn't think that it would crumble just because he was shoved into it. His strength was mightier than he realized, and now the police were involved.

The now teenage boy stood watching the ocean touch his toes. Tears ran down his cheeks as he emptied the urn into the bright blue ocean, sending his mother to her favorite place.

"It's nice to meet you, Zeke," Ellie breathed, feeling his sadness from reliving his memories in her bones. A frown was planted clearly on his face from the unexpected onslaught of his past.

Everyone watched her curiously, not wanting their own memories to be shared. The red haired girl spoke what everyone else was thinking, "Is that gonna happen every time someone touches you?"

Ellie shifted her eyes to the girl, finding nothing but curiosity in her eyes, and shook her head. "It's only the first time I touch someone."

"If you knew it was going to happen, why did you shake his hand anyway?" Victoire sneered, placing a hand on her hip.

"It was better to get it over with now than in the middle of training," Ellie shrugged, stepping forward to her black uniform and beginning the process of changing. She didn't care what anyone had to say about her at the moment. She just wanted to get on with her training.

"That's smart," the red head chimed, stepping toward Ellie with the brunette in orange sticking close to her side. "I'm Emerald Evans, and this ball of sunshine over here is Olivier Carter."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Eleanor," Olivier said, her voice timid. "You don't seem as horrible as the stories."

Ellie nodded and smiled, "I'm not sure what the stories say about me, but I'm just a regular girl."

"That's nice to know," Olivier smiled and offered a hand. "Would you like to go ahead and see mine?"

A mirthless laugh echoed across the room. "Why give her an advantage in the training room?"

Victoire clearly didn't like Ellie, and if Ellie really thought about it, she could see why. She wasn't exactly a person that any of them trusted, not after everything that happened with Jesse.

"To make it fair of course," Olivier stated, licking her lips. The small Latina made her nervous, and she was certain that everyone could see it.

"Life's not fair. Why should training be fair?" Victoire snarled, making the girl step back. "Besides, don't you know anything about her? She doesn't need the extra help."

If Ellie didn't know better, she would have assumed the girl was as much of a dog as her pack of wolves, and while she wanted to say something, she refrained. The small girl was right on that account. Life was going to throw more obstacles in their way than they could count, and Ellie wasn't going to let a little visual disturbance get in her way.

She lifted her eyes to the group before her and tried to hold back her bite as she said, "Don't worry about it. I don't need any favors. I'm deadly enough without the "extra help" that your two second memories would ever give me. So keep them to yourselves." She zipped up her black jacket and narrowed her eyes, "I should warn you though. I'm not someone you should mess with. So I'd be careful if I were you."

With that, the blonde walked out of the room, leaving the others to think about what she had said.