Chapter 26

The trial room was just as Ellie remembered it. The walls were tall and painted white to match the large pillars allowing the ceiling to rest upon them. A mahogany judge's stand stood in contrast against the white and black tiled flooring. Her heart raced as she saw the golden phoenix's wings spread across the stand.

"Where birds fly free, huh," she murmured, making her way to the stand.

The frown she was wearing dipped further as she reached a hand out to touch the golden bird, her fingers barely grazing it before a voice called out.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

Ellie turned as the sound of Dawson's voice echoed throughout the large room. She raised an eyebrow as he walked toward the judge's stand, his ocean blue eyes making her squirm under their gaze.

"And why not?" she asked.

Dawson calculated his words before saying, "It's just been polished. You wouldn't want to upset Marisol."

Ellie turned back to the golden bird, "I have no concern there."

"Maybe not," he said, stepping beside her, "but you've not been well. A qualm with Marisol would not help your situation."

A sigh left Ellie's lips as she replayed the conversation she'd had with Alice. She would not be healing any time soon. If Jasper no longer wanted her, she would die sooner rather than later.

"My situation is no longer of any concern."

Dawson turned to face her, his brows furrowed together, "You've seen your tether?"

She refused to look at him, keeping her eyes on the phoenix and her face blank, "As much as necessary."

She didn't want to accept her fate, but what choice did she have? She would almost rather die than face Jasper at this point, but it would seem he was giving her no say in the matter. It didn't matter. She needed to find her father before she gave up the ghost.

"I see," he said. He turned to face the phoenix, allowing a pregnant pause before saying, "You deserve more."

Ellie shuffled, pulling her arms close to her body and glancing at Dawson.

His ocean blue eyes had a stormy glaze over them, like he had been fighting with someone or something. The dark circles that circled them worried her for some reason. His brows were furrowed, and he had the smallest of frowns tugging at his pale pink lips. He was beautiful in an almost mournful way.

"You're staring," he said, facing her.

"I can't figure you out," she said, keeping her gaze locked on his.

"There's not much to figure out, Eleanor," he shrugged, wetting his lips. She would never hear it anyway.

She stared for a moment more, this time allowing herself to admire him for all he was. For reasons she couldn't understand, he made her heart skip a beat. She kept quiet though and turned back to the phoenix, ignoring her lungs screaming for air.

Dawson kept his eyes on her, noting the way her cheeks briefly tinted pink before saying, "He's not here, you know."

Ellie snapped back to him, narrowing her eyes as she turned, "What are you talking about?"

He released a sigh. Of course, she would play dumb.

"Your father."

As shock crossed Ellie's face, he continued, "That's the only sane reason you would be in this room again."

"You –"

"You're more easily read than you believe. You've been thinking about it for the past couple of weeks now, and I have to tell you he's not here."

Ellie released a breath. He wasn't telling the truth. He couldn't be. How could he know? She'd been keeping her mental guard up. He couldn't possibly know what she had been thinking...unless that was beginning to shut down as well. She was already having issues with teleporting. It would only make sense that her guards weren't working either, but something inside of her knew that he wasn't being honest with her.

"You're lying," she said, shaking her head before placing her palm to the golden phoenix on the stand, but nothing happened.

Dawson huffed, crossing his arms and raising an eyebrow at the girl whose face held distinct confusion.

Ellie looked between the golden phoenix and the man beside her, a bright red tint coating her cheeks as she realized he might not have actually been lying.

"But – I thought," she stuttered, her wide eyes causing the tiniest of smirks to tug at Dawson's lips. "I was so sure..."

The defeated frown that developed on her lips erased Dawson's smirk. Releasing a sigh, he placed his hand gently onto her shoulder.

"Look, I wouldn't worry about it," he whispered. "Just because he's not here, doesn't mean he isn't somewhere."

Ellie kept her gaze firmly on the man beside her. Was he joking? Or just trying to give her some form of hope?

Catching the girl's curious gaze, he offered her a smile, one that had her questioning herself. He removed his hand from her shoulder only to brush a lock of blonde hair behind her ear, gently cupping her cheek in his warm hand, his thumb resting on the apple of her cheek.

A bright blush to overtook her and her mouth dried quickly causing her to wet her lips.

"Everything will work out the way it is meant to, Eleanor," he said, his bright blue eyes boring into her green. He softly rubbed her cheek before removing his hand and bringing it back to his side. "You should get some rest. You have a big day ahead of you tomorrow."

Ellie furrowed her eyebrows, "What's tomorrow?"

Dawson's smile grew at the confusion on her face. "Have you forgotten? Guillermo said the final trial was tomorrow."

Ellie's eyes widened and a curse flew from her lips. Seriously? She hadn't forgotten the team assignment. There was no way.

A grin spread across Dawson's lips as a bright laugh burst from within. His eyes twinkled in contrast to his normally serious gaze. "I didn't realize you were such a slacker, Eleanor."

A dry sigh left her mouth. "You know," she started as she slouched toward the door. "I'm going to call it a night. I think I've had a long enough of this abuse."

Dawson shook his head before reaching a hand out and ruffling her hair, a half smirk tilting his lips. "Get some rest, princess."

Ellie finished exiting the room, closing the door behind her. She didn't know what she was thinking. Maybe she really should just go to bed. Because she could have sworn for just one moment, she thought she had seen someone else.  

A/N:   I know it's short, but I wanted to make sure you all got something after such a long wait. Thank you for waiting for so long. My life has been wild, and I'm still trying to figure out how to fit the things I love doing into it again. 

I am now working on the next chapter. Hopefully, the next chapter won't take as long to finish. Get ready. It's about to get crazy.