Chapter 9

"But what if they don't like me?"

Ellie rolled her eyes, but was sympathetic to her sister. She had been through this before. Most of her last pack hadn't liked her, and if Allison hadn't taken to her so well, they probably would have never liked her. The Cullen coven was a different situation, though. They had let her think they cared for her and then left her completely. So she could understand Evie's fear with her new pack. The alpha absolutely had to accept her, or Evie's life would become more complicated than Ellie wanted her to ever face.

Shifting her eyes to her sister before pulling them back to the road in front of her, she said, "They'll love you, Eve. You're good with people, and these people are now your people. You'll be absolutely fine."

As they pulled up to the treaty line, they were met by an old, rusty Chevrolet that held two men, one much older than the other. The twins shared a look before stopping the vehicle and watched as the younger man stepped out of the truck. He was tall with short, dark hair and as muscular as some of the men they watched on the television, and he held a stern expression on his face. He stood by the hood of the truck and waited with his arms crossed. He didn't trust the blonde behind the wheel of the silver car, and he wasn't sure about her lookalike. If they trusted the leeches, their sanity was to be questioned in his opinion.

Ellie nodded at her twin and assured her that she would be fine before the duo stepped out of the Porsche and moved to meet the man that was standing on the wolves side of the treaty line. As they neared the line, the muscular man said "That's far enough."

Ellie stopped in her tracks. She was aware that this was a possibility. She was supposed to be on the side of the vampires. They wouldn't want a "leech lover" on their side on the treaty line, and she understood. They didn't trust her, and honestly, she didn't trust herself right now.

"Why can't we come any further?" Evie asked, aware of the treaty but unsure as to why the two sisters were not allowed to cross the line. They were still human after all.

"You can. She can't," the man said, keeping his stance strong. He would not have the leech lover on his lands. As far as he was concerned, she was dangerous.

"And why not? She's human. She's not a threat to your people," Evie said, angered by the man's thoughts. Sure, she hated vampires as much as the next person, but this was her sister, her other half, and she couldn't let her be treated any differently than herself.

The man didn't like her abrasiveness. If she wasn't going to be complacent, he wasn't sure she had a place in his pack. They didn't need anyone to be a danger to them. This one would have a lot to learn if she was going to be one of them. "She's with the leeches. She's not welcome, and you would do good to learn your place. We don't let any threats come into our lands. Our tribe is our number one priority."

Evie bit her tongue ready to lash out at the man. Her sister wasn't a threat. He needed to see that, and as far as her learning her place, she didn't see where it was any of his business to say so.  He needed to keep his thoughts to himself. She opened her mouth to say so, when Ellie spoke.

"I mean you no harm, but I do respect your wishes. I will not enter into your lands," Ellie said, remaining in her spot. "I will ask that you be kind to my sister, though. She is your emissary. You are not hers. You may be her alpha, but it is her council that you will seek. She will learn more as she gets the opportunity. Do not push her to " learn her place" for her place is just as important as yours."

"But Ellie—" Evie started, wishing for her sister to join her.

"No, Evie," Ellie said, shaking her head. "This is something you have to do on your own."