Talk

"Mrs Beauchamp," he smiled, standing in the doorway of her office and watching as she looked up from her paperwork.

"Nice to see you've remembered my actual name for once," she commented dryly, before a soft smile spread across her face,"what can I do for you Staff nurse masters?"

"I have a spare coffee here and wondered if you wanted to get some fresh air," he asked and to their surprise she found herself nodding.

"Here," he offered her the coffee, as she pulled on her coat and she accepted it gratefully. "Thank you,"

"Now let's get you out of here before someone else wants your opinion on something."

The night was cold and dark and the stars barely lit up the night due to the thick mist that surrounded them. She felt safe with him, she wasn't sure why. She thought maybe it was because he looked so strong, but there was something more to it than that. They walked side by side, their arms brushing against each other's as they walked in a comfortable silence. She pulled her coat more tightly around her and he handed her his scarf,

"We can head back if you're cold sweet cheeks," he offered kindly and she shook her head,

"Let's sit," she smiled and he took her hand, leading her through some small trees and to a clearing.

"This is beautiful," she spoke quietly and he guided her to sit on an upturned tree stump. The light above them seemed to sparkle across the water of the lake, and all of a sudden the stress of the last few months seemed to disappear.

"This apparently used to be the hospital peace garden before they rebuilt it," he told her, placing his arm gently around her shoulders as she leaned into him, "but I prefer it here."

"I've never been here before," she spoke quietly, "it feels a world away from the hospital,"

"Tell me to mind my own business Connie... but I've noticed you've stopped wearing your wedding ring,"

She exhaled and nodded, "long story," she replied eventually, "and I'm not really sure how it's going to end."

Their pagers bleeped almost simultaneously and they stood up slowly.

"If you need to talk, I'm a good listener," he told her and she smiled,

"I'm just about holding things together," she admitted, "I'm not sure I'll be able to get through all of this if I start to talk,"

He nodded, taking her hand and squeezing it gently, "good coffee and fresh air it is then," he replied, letting go of her as they reached the ED.