Waiting

She smiled as she saw him stood in the middle of park throwing a ball for a Dalmatian dog.

She jogged over so she stood behind him and slipped her hands over his eyes,

"Guess who," she smiled, before laughing as the dog jumped at her and knocked her backwards,

"Hi sweet cheeks," he smiled, his hand either side of her arms before he pulled her into a hug. She leaned against his chest, before looking up at him,

"Who's your friend?" She asked, bending down to pet the dog that stood patiently by them.

"This is Dotty," he smiled, "she was my nieces... But they didn't take her when they moved over to France,"

Connie smiled as the dog gave her her paw,

"She's gorgeous,"

"But not very well trained,"

"I'll train her," she smiled, "I grew up with dogs, do you want to join me for a jog? Might wear her out a bit,"

He nodded, "come on Dot."

They ran back to Connie's house, and with Dotty laid outside on the grass she flicked on the kettle.

"Come here," he smiled and without question she did as he asked. He stepped towards her and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her wordlessly into his toned chest.

"I haven't seen you for a few days... I've missed you," he admitted easily, "no one else runs that ED like you do,"

She accepted his embrace, his strong warm arms made her feel more comfortable that she felt with anyone else.

She leaned up and kissed his cheek, pulling away to make tea, before she lead him out into the garden.

They resumed the position that had seemingly become so comfortable for them now. She lay against his chest as his arm wrapped around her shoulders, his fingertips running across the skin of her arm,

"Laying like this with you always makes me feel tired," she admitted, attempting to stifle a yawn.

He rested his head on hers, "that's because you hardly ever stop," he told her,

"Don't you have somewhere to be staff nurse masters,"

He shook his head, "I'm happy just here."

Charlie let himself into Connie's house, a smile on his face as he saw her asleep on the sofa as Dotty dosed on the floor beside her. Jacob stood making dinner in her kitchen,

"It's not what you think," Jacob told him quietly, "she's my friend."

"You've managed to get her to relax, I'm not going to judge," Charlie smiled,

"Stay for dinner, I'm sure she won't mind,"

"Where's the dog come from?" Charlie asked as he watched how Dotty stayed close to where Connie slept, her tail wagging.

"She belonged to my niece, but they moved abroad and I kept her..."

"Never did I think I'd see the day Connie Beauchamp would let a dog into the house,"

Connie opened her eyes and threw a pillow at Charlie before sitting up, "how long have you been here,"

"Long enough," he smiled, setting the table as Connie got three glasses of wine out.

Jacob smiled as Dotty stayed close to Connie throughout the evening, he nudged her, "looks like you've found a friend there."

Connie stroked the dogs head, "you look after him for me, I'll see you both soon,"

She stood up and kissed his mouth gently, his hands wrapped around her back and he cuddled her too him as his lips kissed hers over and over again.

"I'm sorry we can't... You know," she told him, "I have to wait for six weeks post op,"

He tucked her hair behind her ear, "I don't mind waiting," he smirked, "it's good for me."

Dotty began to bark and they both laughed, "even the dog agrees."

"Come on Dotty," he smiled,

She took his hands in his once more and kissed him again, "text me when you're home."

He kissed her mouth, "I will, I'll see you soon."