Chapter 6: Warming Up

Chapter 6

Warming Up

I carried the boy out out of the ravine and sat down on the hillside. I didn’t need to watch Cane murder Fiona. The others had followed. Though none of us had the will or the energy to do anything, Fiona was still part of the pack. We didn’t need to see Cane have his moment as the all powerful alpha.

There was no screaming or begging for help. Cane arrived without a sound coming from the ravine. Fiona had been telling the truth. She was only living for her son, and now that I was stuck with him, she was ready to die.

“Let’s go,” order Cane. He stooped down and cleaned his claws in the snow. 

The pack slowly stood and started down the mountain. I placed the boy over my shoulder and went to join them.

“You had to make things difficult,” said Cane. 

I turned and our eyes met. 

“That boy won’t make this any easier. He’s dead weight. Let me kill him before your wolf grows to attached.”

Glancing down at the white wolf in my arms, I shook my head. “What’s done is done. I left my mark. He’s my responsibility now.” I started down the mountainside. 

***

Cane sniffed the air inside the cave and glanced back at us. “We stay here for the night. Ranger, you’re in charge. We’re going to go out and see if we can kill anything.”

I nodded and pressed to the front. The others followed me inside as Cane left with the dominants. We settled down in the back of the cave where it was warmer. The boy started to squirm in my arms. I placed him beside me and watched his eyes open. They were a pretty blue. 

“How are you feeling?”

The boy grabbed his shoulder and pressed up against the wall. 

“Sorry about that. If it still hurts I can fix it for you.”

The sub didn’t move and just stared at me. He glanced around at our pack mates. The poor thing look terrified. 

“They’re not going to hurt you.” I sunk down the wall and took a deep breath. “You’re part of the pack now.”

He pulled his knees to his chest and wrapped his tail around his legs. I was kind of surprised something so small had lasted this long. 

“If you cold you can sit by me.”

He peeked at me from over his knees. 

“I guess that’s a no, but if you changed your mind.” I put my arm behind my head and closed my eyes. My ear flicked to the side when I heard rock shift. I kept my eyes closed and waited for him to come to me. 

“Ranger!” yelled my mother.

My eyes shot open as I saw my mate running toward the door. “Stupid idiot,” I growled. I jumped to my feet and chased after him.

He screamed when I grabbed his arm. Clawing at my hands, he dropped to the ground.

“Cut it out.” I tossed him into the snow.

“Don’t hurt him Ranger.” My mother ran from the cave and went to his side. She cupped the white wolves face in her hands. “He is your mate now.”

For the first time in my life, I wanted to hit her. I didn’t want a mate. One more things to worry about, and it had to be a stupid omega on top of that. The boy squirmed away from her and stared up at me.