Chapter 23: Infestation

Chapter 23

Infestation

Against my better judgment, I left Shiloh with Raven the next day as I went to meet up with the hunting party. Brent was talking with Jagger, while West stared off out the door where Gage was moping around with the other dominates.

“Alright let’s go.”

Brent turned to me. “What do you want me to do?”

“Stay here.” I walked past him. “Come on West you’re faster than most of these guys.”

West didn’t move and bit his cheek.

“What?” I waved toward the door. “Let’s go. I don’t want to be doing this in the heat of the day.”

“I can’t,” he muttered.

Brent put his hand on my pack mate's shoulder. “I think he should stay here. From what I’ve heard this is dangerous, and I don’t want anything to happen to him.”

My mouth fell open and I scrunched up my forehead. “You expected me to take a civil over a traditional wolf that has been hunting for years? You really are insane.” I marched outside. “You can both stay here if that’s my only option.”

Jagger and Brent followed, while West lingered behind.

“I’m here to experience traditional life,” said Brent.

I stopped suddenly, and he nearly ran into me. “Look,” I turned sharply and shoved him back. “I don’t need a civil getting in the way. It’s not a game.”

“He’s coming, Ranger,” sighed Jagger, rubbing his forehead. “It’s already been decided.”

“No, he’s not!” I snapped. “My pack, my rules.”

Brent stood straight. “I swear to you, I won’t get in the way. I’ll watch from the sidelines. I think that’s a fair compromise.”

Clenching my jaw, I shook my head. “You want to come that bad?”

He nodded.

“Then let West show you how it’s done.”

Brent opened his mouth to argue, but I held up my hand.

“Either West comes or neither of you do. That’s my final decisions.”

“Look who decided to try and be alpha,” said Jagger under his breath. “I guess you’re in West.”

“Yes.” The middle rank beamed with excitement.

“I really don’t think this is a good idea,” muttered Brent to the future alpha.

Jagger shrugged. “Ranger knows West better than anyone else. If he thinks your finance can do it, then I’m sure West will be fine.” He walked off to join the other dominant waiting by the tree line.

West joined us. “I’ll be fine. I’ve done it before. I’ve been hunting for years.”

Brent ran his hand down his face and sigh. “Alright.”

“Thank you!” My pack mate smiled and hurried over to the dominants.

“Just be careful, okay,” the civil yelled after him.

“Don’t worry about him,” I said plainly. “He took care of me and Shy. West really does know what he’s doing.”

I went to the others and slipped off my shorts. Shifting, I turned to the group. Gage just stood there, fidgeting. I stared at him, with a raised eyebrow, waiting for him to say something.