Chapter 25: Toxic Dart

Chapter 25

Toxic Dart

I stood with Jagger at the mouth of the cave in werewolf form. They were out there, hiding somewhere.

“How many is Darius sending?” I whispered.

“He said Saigon and Titus were on the way with a group of twenty. The rest of the dominants are securing the Northern Ridge border. I think he already knew something was wrong.”

The rogues’ scent was whirling through the air.

“They don’t seem like normal scavengers,” said Jagger. “The number is too large. They’re more pack like, but they not from this region, so it couldn’t be an attempted takeover,” he glanced at me. “The scent is new to me.”

I scanned the tree line. “I recognize it. I just can’t remember from where.” I brushed back my head fur. “We traveled through some many territories, but I feel like I should know this.”

Hearing footsteps, we both turned to see Gage with a couple other dominates jogged toward us.

“Everyone been evacuated. I have men posted at all entrances and guarding the lower ranks.”

I nodded.

“What’s the plan?” asked my beta.

“We wait,” I whispered. “I’m getting the feeling that running into the forest is what they want.”

“We have the advantage though,” piped in a young dominant. “This is our land.”

“I know,” I looked to the trees.

The sun had dipped below the mountains and night had begun.

“But for now, we wait. Protect the pack. Before we even think about going on the attack, I want to wait until Northern Ridge arrives.”

The confidence in the dominants rose when I mention our neighboring pack. I just hoped that Saigon and Titus would get here quickly. My instincts were telling me these weren’t simple rogues. They wanted something, but I won’t let them have it. No one was going to take my pack away from me again.

Darkness settled over Bloodhound. Rustling came from the trees. We fell silent and listened. My ears flicked around as I picked up the parting of branches. I held up a hand to keep the other quiet.

“Stay here,” I whispered.

I crept into the clearing outside the cave. I kept low to the ground and inched forward. The smell was strong and pried at my memory. I knew this smell. It had the same underlie scent to it as Shiloh and West. It was mine.

“Hello, baby brother.” August stepped forward.

Something cold was placed under my chin.

I slowly stood up. “August?”

“Look at you. Alpha.” The human in sunglasses smiled. “You have something I want, Ranger.”

Other men in suits walked out of the trees, holding guns. This wasn’t the kind of fight I know how to win. My brother flicked his pistol.

I backed up to the group of dominants. Jagger growled and held his ground as armed men gathered around us.

August took off his glasses and tucked them in his pocket. “You must be Jagger. Northern Ridge’s pride and joy.” He glanced at the future alpha. “Traditional route, what a waste.”

Jagger lurched forward.

I put my hand on his shoulder and pulled him back. “What do you want?”